Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wong Ken Mun - The Avid Runner

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Wong Ken Mun - Aiming to do a 3hr 05min to 3hr 10min for the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2011.

We have here an athlete who is a runner and a triathlete. His name is Wong Ken Mun and he is 25 years old. He was a physical training instructor in the past. Right now, he is not doing the job as an instructor but with the knowledge of training, he has progressed in running. Somehow, I feel that he needs guidance and if monitored this young runner will be able to do a sub-3hr for this year's marathon. Ken Mun is running in the coming Singapore Bay Army-Half marathon, which falls on Sept 04. 

I gave him an interview on running and he agreed to this. I believe that this will help motivate young runners.


An Interview With Wong Ken Mun

What sport do you like the most?
Running is my current passion. I also enjoy swimming, cycling, football and badminton. I play these sports regularly.

What is your PB for 2.4km (year), 5km, 10km, half-marathon and marathon race timing?
My PBs are as follows:
2.4km - 8:40+ (2010) 
5km - 19:05 (2011)
10km- 38:02 (2011)
HM - 1:27 (2010)
Marathon - 3:22 (2010)


In which race did you do your personal best time for 10km?
It was the Trifactor 10k, a replacement run which was held last week after many runners ran off-course in the original event.

Can you tell us on how you ran the race throughout, by discussing with us on each kilometre that you ran?
My objective was to go below 39 minutes and I was confident of doing so as the route in east coast was flat and fast. For the first few kilometres, I ran in a conservative manner to get myself comfortable and then sped up slowly. There was also a lot of headwinds so I told myself to be patient. By the 4k mark, I found myself in the lead. I reached the half-way point (5km) in 19:20. I increased my pace as I often run faster in the second half of the race. By 6-7km, I was already quite tired due to the heat, humidity and fighting the strong winds earlier on but I just told myself to hold on and not lose sight of the lead cyclist. I managed to finish in 38:02 in the first position.

How was the organisation of the race?
The replacement run was definitely better-organised than the first race, but then again it was not possible for it to be any worse. Even though everything went smoothly for me, there were still some minor errors such as the wrong placement of the route markers. For e.g., the 7km mark showed 8km and so on.

Can you share with us on some of the ways the race can be improved in order to enable an athlete to excel?
The Trifactor 10k run was not the only race this year which was badly organised. There were several other races which were not well-organised as well so this represents a trend. More races and therefore more competition should mean an increase in quality but it seems that the reverse is true.

I think the following can be improved:
1)proper routes (try to avoid traffic lights, kerbs, stairs, bottlenecks, clashes with runners from both directions)

2)better water points (I think the standard is 3km but every 2km is preferable because of Singapore's humidity, isotonic should also be readily available)

3)visible route and turning markers (many of the races I go to either place them erroneously or omit them completely)

Although I think other aspects such as the race freebies, good volunteers and good race carnivals are important, a run race is, in the end, just a run. Therefore, I think organisers should think first about what constitutes a good run for a participant. I know organising a race is never an easy task and runners range from those wanting to win or do a PB to those who just want to get the finisher-T and soak in the atmosphere. I believe, however, that if the above basics are done well, it can go a long way to make the race an enjoyable one for everybody.


How do you balance your career with running?
I think proper time management and discipline is important. For me, I finish my work before my runs in the evening or I run in the afternoon if I know I will be staying back late. Running has also been beneficial to my work in terms of making me a more positive person.

Are you running in the Army - Half marathon race? 
If yes, you can elaborate on your training preparation.
I will be running AHM and hope to go 1:25. I currently do a track session and a long run per week. The rest are easy runs or cross-training/stretching exercises such as swimming and yoga. I also ensure that I have a rest day per week.


What is your next target for the marathon?
I hope to go sub-3:10 for the Standard Chartered Marathon this year and if all going well, close to 3hr or even sub-3hr if possible.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.