Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sheryl Loh - 50km Ultra Marathon Challenge

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

As Sheryl mentioned to us, finally she completed the 50km ultra-marathon with a creditable time. She was hoping to run this after the Gold Coast Half-marathon race on July 03. Let us find out more on this girl who is taking medicine course and who has a PB of 39min and coming in third for the Great Eastern Run 2010. This just shows that Sheryl is not deterred by the medicine course to do well in running, although she is now just keeping herself conditioned to stay fit. 

Picture 1 - Sheryl Loh in Great Eastern Run 2010 doing 39min and coming in 3rd in Women Open, with 5 months training.



An interview with Sheryl Loh

What was the race called that you took part in recently?
The Tan Ultramarathon 50km (this was the fun run, the main run was a 100km one)

Can you tell us more details of the race, time of race, distance, place?

It was held at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Melbourne and involved 13+laps of the famous Tan track, which is 3.8km long.

What was your time for the race?

Just under 4h 50mins.


What made you go for this race?
I wanted the challenge of trying the distance.

Can you tell us the experience that you went through during the race?
I was aiming for a time of 21mins per 3.8km lap. But I felt like I could sustain the pace of 20mins per lap after the first 3. I managed to keep the momentum for the first 10 laps until the 34km mark where I hit the proverbial wall that most marathon runners face. I also had a bit of pain in the right-back, which began to tighten up during the gradual downhills. I made the mistake of not drinking any fluids after the first 25km when I got a stitch which could have led to the muscular tightness and cramping.

As the weather was warm and sunny, there were many people out for a walk/run on the Tan track and there were shouts of encouragement as I ran past. Their cheers kept me motivated even through the last 3 laps when I was alternating between jogging and walking due to the pain.


How did you feel after the race?

Accomplished, surprised to find myself still in one piece, and extremely thirsty.

Are you happy with the time?

Yes. I was not aiming for any particular time as I had not trained specially for the event. Although I was on track for 4h30mins, this is my first time running such a distance (previous longest distance raced being 25km) and on a sand track. I am glad to have finished the race in one piece.

What is the next race that you are preparing for, if any?

I am thinking of doing the Melbourne half-marathon on the 9th of October but will have to consider carefully, as I am getting busier with my course.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.