Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Jonathan Kang Aims for 1hr 30 min for Army Half-marathon 2011

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Jonathan Kang - Balances Work With Running. 

Jonathan Kang is now 35 years of age, a male, who is currently working as a Business Manager in Credit Suisse Bank. Recently, he met me and would like to be professionally coached by me. I went through his training programme of the past and saw the same pattern of training similar to Dr Benny Goh's. The latter was doing 3hr 15min when I met him at Berlin 2008. Later on, after a change in the training programme, Dr Benny Goh did 2hr 50min which became the latest personal best time for a marathon race. I remember that when I started training Daniel Ling in the year 2006, over a period of time, he brought the time down to 2hr 46min in the 2007 Standard Chartered Marathon and came in as the local champ. Daniel's training earlier on was similar to Jonathan's current way of training. This has been changed now.

Dr Benny, Dr Ben Tan, Lim Thow Wee and Jonathan sometimes train together. Jonathan is right now training seriously for the Singapore Bay Run, Army Half-Marathon 2011. In the long-term, I believe that Jonathan will be able to do a sub-3hr for a marathon race.

I gave him an interview and he was forthcoming in this. 

Picture 1 - Jonathan Kang, previously from NUS, is aiming to go sub 3hrs in the long-term in the marathon race. 
















An Interview With Jonathan Kang.

How many marathons have you run in the past?

To date, I have run 15 marathons, the first being in 1996.


What are your average times like?

For my first attempt, I clocked 3h 42min. Since then, my times have been hovering around 3:40 to 3:55.

How is your training preparation for your marathon training?

Last year my average mileage was 40-50km per week and managed to do a PB of 3hr 26min at the 2010 Stanchart Marathon, allowing a 33rd position.


What is your personal best time for the marathon?
This year I did my first overseas marathon at the Hong Kong Marathon and achieved a new PB of 3hr 15min 7sec.


What is your personal best time for the 2.4km?
My personal lifetime best for 2.4km was 7:58, achieved in 2000 when I was in NUS.


How do you find the Hong Kong marathon?

This was my first overseas marathon (and my 2nd overseas run). The weather was really good. At 14-15 degrees, it was a definitely better temperature to run in compared to S'pore weather! Very chilly weather throughout, which helped a lot. But the good conditions were negated by the many slopes throughout the course! There were even up-slopes awaiting us at the last stretch.

What is your aim for this year's Singapore Bay Army- Half- marathon 2011

My next target will be the upcoming Army Half Marathon. I hope to come within the timing of 1hr 30-31min. It is not easy as my previous PB was 1:33, and that was done  long time back in 2000.

What is your aim for this year's Singapore Standard Chartered marathon 2011?

For the year-end S'pore Stanchart Marathon, my aim is to do between, if possible, 3:10-3:12. I've been working on increasing my weekly mileage this year, especially over the weekends, where I pay particular attention to do a once a week very long runs. My long-term goal will be to do a sub-3 hour eventually. I have faith that it's possible, with the guidance of Mr. Ram, and support from runners Dr Benedict Tan, Dr Benny Goh,  Lim Thow Wee.

How do you balance work with running?

It's not easy to manage and balance family, church, work commitments and running altogether. Most days I work long hours. But I thank God I have a very understanding wife, who's very supportive to my passion for running and training commitments. My answer to people is that with difficulty it is still possible to train for a race.


What advice you would like to tell the young in order for them to take up running?
Many people perceive running as a competitive sport, sustainable only when you're young. But running can be enjoyable when you develop a passion for it. And it is a love that can be sustained through the ages, even when you're old! I definitely wished I had taken up running much earlier in my younger days!






Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.