Monday, August 1, 2011

Osim Triathlon 2011

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sara Ng - Another Personal Best in Osim Triathlon 2011

Picture 1 - Sara Ng, after a long swim















In the past, I have told readers on how from an inactive/sedentary person, Sara became an active student in the Health and Fitness Club in Hwa Chong Institution (2008). Later on, she became very active in the leadership role as we did have a vacuum in the leadership role for chairperson. She was able to get many to join the Health and Fitness club members and brought capable leaders like Michelle and Haidee to do the next lap in the change of leadership role.

Going out of Hwa Chong, Sara began to get involved in outdoor sports and decided to do a more vigorous type of sports, which physiologist like Astrand and Rodahl always support that human should focus on staying outdoor as staying indoor is not good for our own survival. 

Not only did Sara got herself involved in running, but she was involved in triathlon challenge as well. She also excelled in studies by getting 8 GCE 'A' Levels, showing that a person can get good results academically by not focusing on just 'kiasuism'.


 Picture 2 - The cycle section
















Having said that, I would like to introduce this humble, very respectful, obedient and wonderful student, Sara Ng, where many can take her as a good role model to follow. One should not shy away from sports just to keep scoring in studies. Hence, I am sharing the interview I had with her. I hope that you enjoy her ideas on striving in life - in academically, sports and other as well.

Picture 3 - The final run section 

 
















An Interview With Sara Ng

What was the race that you took part in?
The Osim Singapore International Triathlon.


Can you tell us the category that you took part in?

I raced the standard distance (1.5km swim, 40km bike and 10km run) in the 20-24 years old age group.

How do you find the organisation of the run?

This is the tenth anniversary of the race and very well-organised.


How was the weather yesterday?

It was quite windy and the swim conditions were rough, choppy waves and strong currents.


How was your preparation?

I felt prepared for the race as I've been training for the past 5 months for it.


Can you tell us in detail on how the run goes from start till the end?

The swim was tough for me, and I believed it was for everyone else. The strong currents pushed many athletes off course and was very draining. I finished it almost 10 mins slower than my usual time in training. I knew that I had to push hard on the bike to make up for a lost time, and since it was my strongest discipline, I decided to give it all that I've got. I managed to catch up to my nearest competitor by finishing the bike leg 7 mins faster and start the run at the same time. The running leg is usually my weakest and the fatigue from pushing the pace on the bike was starting to set in. The heat was also beginning to rise and I had to constantly tell myself to keep going. The run was a real test of mental strength especially since I just recovered from a hip overuse injury and had to deal with a dull aching pain in the hip throughout the 10km. 

What kept me going was the fact that I trained so hard for this race and I really wanted to do a personal best. How did you feel when you came in with a personal best time?
I was gunning for a 2h 45min finish but came in at 2h 51min, although I was a little disappointed, it is still a good 6 minutes faster than my previous time, so I was happy for that.


Are you happy with your performance?

I like to set 2 different types of goals - an outcome goal and a performance goal. For the outcome goal, I was happy to come in top 3 but slightly disappointed with my swim. Nonetheless, the outcome of a race is very much out of my control since it depends on the weather and course conditions. As for the performance goal, I was happy that I kept going despite the pain and managed to race my best triathlon to date.


What is your next target?

I have the Trifactor Triathlon coming up in on the 28th of August and maybe this time if the stars align, I can finally achieve my goal of finishing in 2h 45 mins.




Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.