Monday, August 15, 2011

North West Youth Run 2011 (14 Aug 2011)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

North West Youth Run 2011 (14th Aug 2011) - 2nd time coming in as a champion.

Picture 1 - Ashley Liew (left) is the champion, with Darren Toh, one of his training partner.




Ashley ran the North West Youth Run 2011, yesterday. From him, it seems that some of the races are organised well and some are not done properly. Although he came in as the champion of the race, the most important thing, the distance markers, were not placed well. The thought that Paul Thompson and I had come true time and again on the way the distance markers are being placed. I told Ashley to hit 3min 20sec to 3min 25sec at the 1km marker. I was very surprised when I heard that Ashley did a near 3min flat for the first 1km. The last km marker with Ashley doing 4min plus is definitely wrong and the organisers should do some soul searching on this. It was definitely very frustrating for me as a coach who would like to see him do well in SEA Games of the future.

Why do I say that?
In the past, I was able to run well when distance markers were correctly placed. This definitely will affect the runner's performance as one will feel difficult in pacing oneself properly. All the time, money and effort that the athlete had invested comes to nothing. That was the reason why I chose races which were usually organised by AIMS. In the past, Trengganu and Penang Half-marathon were AIMS certified. Now, I am not sure. Organisers should know that the distance markers is the one that matters most in Singapore. 

Myself as an example as a committee member of Nat Sch Cross-Country 2010 race.
I remember putting distance markers for boys and girls in the 2010 Nationals Schools' Cross-Country Championships. I took the trouble to put the distance markers so that all athlete knows how to pace oneself well. I was also told that there was no volunteer for this. The boys and girls route were also different. Hence, I myself volunteered to put the distance markers the night before in Bedok Reservoir. At midnight I was still at Bedok Reservoir putting up the distance markers. Nobody complained about the distance markers. Hence, I hope that future organisers should look into aspiring runners wanting to attain a personal best time for this. Even when the time is faster, it will not be a personal best time as the distance markers are wrongly placed. I feel that they should declare the race distance properly as well. 

Ashley Liew is known to do a near 4 min pace for his easy runs and the 4min plus for the last km in a race is definitely not possible and preposterous. Training partners Dr Benny Goh, Jonathan Kang, Dr Ben Tan, Lim Thow Wee, Brendan Lee and Darren Toh will definitely support this as they are training partners of Ashley Liew.

I believe that if Singapore wants to do well in the SEA Games, these points must be taken into consideration before the organising of the race itself. We are responsible for our actions and inactions. As a coach, I am very disappointed with the distance markers. Now, I myself do not know my runner's performance even though he has come in the first position. Why? Here we have an Ashley who is dedicating himself for the country and the organisers have not done their 100%. More could be done on this. 

There is another athlete who shared his frustration with me on the races organised in Singapore. I will be featuring him soon to show consistency in distance markers placed wrongly and things need to be addressed as it involves hundreds, if not, thousands of runners, young and old, serious and not serious ones. I hope that the organisers take this criticism as constructive as a lot of blood and sweat involved in this sport. Ashley and other top runners in Singapore need valid races, not just coming in as a champion. By racing the correct distance, it becomes a stepping stone in our athletes getting the medals in the future. This will be hampered if we do not focus on doing our 100% for the athlete. 
If I am an athlete, I will not go for races which have wrong distance markers. 

As such, let us find out how the race went for Ashley Liew in the form of an interview.

How was the race in the morning?
My training partner Darren and I both had a great race this morning at the North West Youth Run. We could tell that it was especially popular with students as there were lots of them around. It is also not very often that 5k road races are often organized so we took the opportunity to hopefully do a good time… and have fun while at it!


What kind of time were you going for?Since my 5k track PB is 16m19s, I was aiming for a 16m flat time on the road. Did you achieve it? Can you elaborate on this answer?
Despite my increased fitness level and preparation, I was so far off the target that I was shocked! My final time was 17min 37sec, which worked out to an average pace of 3m31+s/km… impossibly slow. My kilometre splits were as follows: 3.05, 3.18, 3.23, 3.33, and 4.17. The first and last km times were definitely not realistic, indicating inaccurate distance markers. After the race, the other top finishers concurred with me on this. Inaccurate distance (can confidently say over 5km) aside, my hamstring was very tight from the start of the race, which could have affected my stride length throughout.

How do find the organization of the race?
Apart from the distance issues, race organization was impeccable, especially considering registration was FOC. I noticed a professional event organization company was employed. The announcements were clear, the waves started on time, we received constant SMS reminders leading to race day, there were sufficient hydration and marshalling, and we even received a finisher medal each. However, Darren told me after the race that he ran past for one of the turning point which the marshal did not do to stop him immediately.

How do you find the route of the course as a whole?
It was generally flat, with gentle undulations including a slight downhill start and a slight uphill finish. We were also running on road surface throughout and did not have sharp turns, so the race times should have been very fast, but surprisingly no one else was able to come close to doing sub-18m.

How did you feel when you knew that you are first?
I took up the lead probably 300m from the start. When I glanced back at the first kilometres mark I could not see anyone near behind. After that, it was about remaining strong and keeping the lead motorbike in my sights. At the pace and effort I was running I did not really have time to reflect on how it was like being the champion. It was when I finished then I realized I was happy: this was only my second time being champion in a road race.

Will you be running in the Singapore Open 20th Aug 2011?
I will be running 10,000m at 5:25pm that Saturday (it was initially at 9am). I will be working very hard to get a PB that day, and perhaps even take home a medal. The event runner-up in today’s race would also be running my event on Saturday, so I look forward to a good race.

Next Issue - Sheryl Loh, who is currently studying medicine in Australia did a 50km race recently.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.