Saturday, June 18, 2011

Forum - Don't Take Fun Out of Sports

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sports Participation  - Issues in sports.

I found this article as very interesting. I realise that the parent knows that certain things can only be taught through sports as a CCA. I will first put down Ms Lim Siew Tin's issue from the Straits Times  (Saturday, 18/06/2011). I shall give my viewpoint and at the same time give my suggestions for improvement in this area. Some of Ms Lim's queries can be discussed from the research I did in the year 2008 for my Masters in Education.


Don't take the fun out of sports in our schools  (by Ms Lim Siew Tin)

I cannot agree more with Ms Chan Peck Lian (: "End obsession with medals": June 4) 


As a mother of a primary schoolboy, I was saddened when he ended up a non-sport co-curricular activity (CCA), which was not his choice, to begin with. 

He had tried out for a number of sports when he was in Primary 3 but was told he did not qualify for any of them. The schools made it known that its selection criterion was that the pupil must possess natural ability or talent in the particular CCA, especially in sports.

In other words, the message to my son was that he is not good enough to help the school win any medal in competitions, and hence not worthy of the school investing training and resources on him.

I know my son is not the most athletic type, but like most boys, he is active, enjoys running and jumping, and competing in games. So why deny him, and I am sure many "non-athletic" kids like him, the chance to just enjoy the sport for what it is?

Aren't CCAs meant to be recreational and even de-stressing after the heavy academic load? And where else but in school can a child pick up a sport to enjoy?

Compared to my son, I had so many more opportunities. I attended a neighbourhood primary school in the late 1970s, despite not being particularly good in any sport, I had track and field, badminton, table tennis, swimming and netball listed as my CCAs. My school did not put me through any selection exercise before deciding. I was good enough to participate in these sports. 

Because of this, I was given the opportunity to pick up, explore and enjoy all these sports. My entire educational experience was greatly enriched by that. 

Like Ms Chan, I find myself questioning why schools are now so obsessed with achieving ranking or awards, or medals in CCAs, as though competition in the academic arena is not enough.

I really hope that with the current review of the educational policies, this aspect would be looked into. I sincerely urge the Ministry of Education to please be mindful of not taking the joy out of learning and the fun out of sports.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.