Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tarandeep Kaur does 1hr 42min 40sec for half-marathon race in Madrid

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Picture 1 - Tarandeep Kaur always champions the effort of Team Flexifitness


In the past, when I started coaching as young as 18, I was more interested in training only the male runners, not the girls. 

The only person I trained when I was 24 years of age while training seriously as a runner myself, was a lady by the name of Lindy Yap. That was the time, I was training N. Ganesan and Harpreet Singh. Mr Chan Meng Hui, a veteran runner and the person who helped to run in overseas competition requested me to help her to do just a sub-4hr. I came forward upon his earnest request to help Lindy Yap.

 Picture 2 - Tarandeep Kaur and her lucky tag number number


Lindy did 3hr 51 in the Singapore Marathon and subsequently, a year later she did 3hr 49min. This was in the early 90s. After that, I was studying overseas at Loughborough University in the UK. When I came back, I was only training the boys, not girls. I was busy coaching the Catholic High School boys team between the years 1996 and 2000 March. I was given an opportunity to train the St Nicholas Girls. I had to turn it down as I feared that I will not have enough time.

Over a span of my next few years also, I was not training girls for long. This perception changed in me over a period of time when I was in Hwa Chong Institution. With some experience in hand, I realised that girls can also excel in running provided they put in the time, money and effort to train seriously. 

Recently, just like Lim Thow Wee, Tarandeep Kaur had been training very hard and running races in Singapore. It was, however, unfortunately, found that she was found to be prone to getting injuries. Tarandeep had to see Dr Kelvin Ng for help in chiropractic services. In the Stanchart Marathon 2012, at the 25km mark, Tarandeep had to give up as her back pain was becoming unbearable. I suggested to her mother that there are a lot of races for her to run and she just has to be patient and stop the race that year itself. Fortunately, she listened to me and her mother and the fruits of her labour are being realised now.

There were a lot of upsets she had to go through as she was not able to train and race well here because of her back problems.

Over time, while training for her further studies in Spain doing her Masters, today, on 08th April 2013, she did 1hr 42min 40sec for the half-marathon. This is a big chunk of 10min improvement from her previous personal best. Her previous best of 50min for 10km has been improved to 47min two weeks back.

I still think that Tarandeep Kaur has a lot of potentials in her. She could do a sub -3hr 50min any sooner. We wish her all the best for her future race. 

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.