Friday, April 12, 2013

S. Jeevaneesh 37min 02sec for 10km 350 Run Race

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

S. Jeevaneesh - One of the best potential to be tapped by Singapore

Picture 1 - Securing his number one position in the Nat Schools' Cross-Country Championships 2011


After running in the National Schools' Cross-Country Finals 2011 and coming in first in the under 17 boys category, with a 20sec improvement in the cross-country record, previously set by Soh Ruiyong from RJC, later on, S. Jeevaneesh was asked to do the 2.4km test, a week from the race. He did 7min 47sec for it. The reason I gave the test was because of my keen interest to ascertain what kind of time he could do for the 2.4km race at that time.

Over time, fortunately, he was sitting for the GCE 'A' Levels. May 2011 onwards, he was at times doing twice per week training with me. Once he finished his preliminary and GCE 'A' Levels, he was working for a few weeks. He came to me, later on, to train seriously before going to the Army. 

With the new technology in running discovered, I was giving him the lastest training methods to run fast. He did 7min 15sec in 2 months. I knew that the methods and system that I have gradually developed works. 

Soon after, he went to the Army and it was only recently that he contacted me to start training again. 

With such a talent, it is wise for Singapore Athletics to take notice of this budding runner, who is also a training partner to Ashley Liew as well. We just hope such kind of talent is used well, instead of going in vain.

As he has just ran in the 350 Run race, I interviewed him on his 37min 02sec run while currently, he is still in the Army. We wish that he is given more support by the ministry and Army. Not to forget, he has a personal best time of 16min 10sec set in 2011 in the National School Track and Field Championships. He needs to cross the 16min barrier to go beyond the schoolboy level to achieve excellence.

My take is that he is one of those who can do a sub - 14min 45sec for 5km and a sub - 31min in 10k in three years to come. 

I will put his interview answers for all avid runners' benefit. Here we do have a guy who is capable of doing wonders for Singapore in the near future. Let us read about him.

An Interview With S. Jeevaneesh

What was the distance of the run?
10km.

What made you take part in this race?
I wanted to see how fast I could run despite not training much due to army commitments.

Did you enjoy the race?
I did enjoy the race because I was targeting 40mins at first but surprisingly came in within 37mins.

How was the terrain of the race?
The terrain of the race was good, mostly flat. It is a typical city-run similar to NTUC Income run 350 last year.

What was your target?
My target was to complete the run well below 40mins as it was my first time running a 10km race since NTUC income run 350 last year.

Are you happy with the time of 37min 02sec?
Yes, I am happy with my time. It shows potential for a better timing in the near future with proper training because I did such a time with so little training.

What is your next target?
My next target is to achieve a personal best by September. I am quite confident that it can be done with proper training this time and I believe I can do less than 35mins for the next run.


www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.