Monday, April 29, 2013

An Interview With Flexifitness' Richard Dalton on London Marathon Race 2013 (3hr 27min)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Richard Dalton - Aiming to do 6 Major Marathons in his lifetime. 

We have discussed about Richard Dalton in the past blogpost. He first aim was to run the London Marathon and do a 3hr 30min. His second aim was to aim to do a 3hr 10min so that he can qualify for the Boston Marathon slot. He could not make it to the Boston Marathon slot with a time of 3hr 27min but he is able to do a personal best time of 3hr 27min finally. 

Let us hear from his answers to my interview questions on why he still wanted to run the London Marathon when he has already heard about the bombings in Boston, a week ago. There are some answers that he has given to some of the important questions posed by me. 

An Interview With Richard Dalton

What time did you do?
3h 27min

Are you happy with the time?
It was my first time under 3h 30m and 11m quicker than my previous best set in Tokyo in 2012, so overall yes, but the second half split was disappointing as I had hoped to be faster.

How was the route of the run?
It's a great route. People lined the streets all the way and gave great support. I had a good starting position at the front of the 2nd wave so no issue with congestion. Crossing Tower Bridge was fun and ending by Buckingham Palace was quite special. 

Can you share with us on your splits of the run?
I completed the first half in 1h 36m which was just over 4m30s/km and in line with my 3h 10min goal. However, I couldn't sustain the pace and did the second half in 1h 51min.

Did your hydration strategy go well in the run?
I stuck to my plan of taking gels after 5km and then every 10km and water every 5km. I had to take water more frequently towards the end.

Which part of the race did you find very challenging?
From 20km onwards I was struggling to hold off a cramp in my legs. I had to focus on taking each mile as it came so most of the second half was tough.

Did you go as a group or alone?
I ran alone but travelled with my wife and son.

Were you affected by the Boston Bombing?
I was shocked and appalled when I heard what had happened but it didn't stop me from wanting to run in London. There was a 30s period of silence before the start of the race to remember the victims which was very moving. The Boston bombing added another dimension to the event as it felt like all runners were supporting the same cause.

Were you looking forward or hesitant to run the London marathon when you have heard of the bombing in Boston?
I was still looking forward to it as I knew that the security in London would be tighter as a result and after all the training I wasn't going to let the bombing impact my race.

What is your next goal?
My future goal is to run the six major marathons, of which I had previously run Tokyo. I chose London this time as I could combine it with a chance to see family and friends in the UK. I ran for Oxfam and raised over SGD5,000 in sponsorship.

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.