Tuesday, April 30, 2013

2.4km (8min 40sec Today) - My Gold Coast Marathon 2013 Preparation (Part 5)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

2.4km - Sub- 9min, in order to get my basic speed for a sub - 3hr marathon

On 20th April 2013, I did 2.4km with a time of 9min 17sec while Vijayraj, a 13-year-old boy did 9min 28sec

On 27th April, I told myself to go for a sub-9min for 2.4km time trial, preferably an 8min 55sec, that's all. It was a failure. One reason for this was that I was not training enough, I guess. I was only doing conditioning work that is all. I was waiting for May month to increase the mileage. 

For the time being it is still low and another reason for this is that I do not want to get any form of injury. 

I did, instead, a 9min 03sec, and Vijay did a time of 8min 58sec. He overtakes me at the last 300 metres portion of the run. I was happy with Vijay's fantastic run. As for me, one reason for the failure was also the hill easy run that I did on Friday - 600m x 4, with an athlete. 

I told myself to forget about it and go home and rest first and then come back. Only today, although I felt a bit good but tired a little, for the night training. I decided to do the 2.4km time trial again. I told myself to attempt again, and if I am not able to get then it is ok. Actually, my target was only to do a sub-9min before Gold Coast marathon training preparation for the next two months. 

I decided to give another go and asked Vijay as well and he told me that he would like to attempt to run a few seconds faster. 

When we did the trial today, Marcel was pacing me at the last 1km of the run. It was at this point that Lim Thow Wee was with me. He was going for his 8km steady run. We were together until the end of my run. After my run, he had another 600m to go to finish his 8km run. 

I joined him at the once he completed his 5km in 19min 10sec. At that point, I had 2.4km to go and he had to finish his last 3km of the 8km.

Eventually, at the last 600m, I was going up the hill before reaching the downhill at the last 300m, I start to go for it. At the finish, I did a time of 8min 40sec. All I was hoping for an 8min 55sec and I rejoiced at my 8min 40sec final time. I am also very happy with Vijay who also has finally hit another personal best time of 8min 56sec with only 3 times per week kind of training. 

I believe that he may be able to do an 8min flat by the end of June. This is my prediction.

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.