Tuesday, April 16, 2013

An Interview With Ashley Liew on Boston Marathon and Bombing

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Tarandeep Kaur's and I were tracking Ashley's race timing in Boston, yesterday from 10pm, Monday. After that, I went to sleep while it was morning 7am in Madrid, where Tarandeep is studying. However, while I was asleep, at about 5 30am, Singapore time, our family friend by the name of Sathia messaged me through phone SMS that there were bombings in Boston. Then the second message alerted me that the bombing was at the finish line. I panicked immediately, in vain, not having any ability to do anything but to wait. Fortunately, Ashley told Kashken Ray Hodge that he was alright. 

Just before this, it also made Team Flexifitness parents, coaches and friends very concerned. They kept messaging me on his safety and well being. They were very worried. Hence, I wanted to let the people know that I am alright and Ashley is fine through the blogpost. I have to thank Kashken who quickly messaged me that Ashley informed the former that he is safe. 

This made my day. The only thing that I am concerned now is those affected in the bomb blast. I just wish that the bombing did not happen at all. The world will be also with them on this. His run in Boston and the timing did not matter to me in any way.

Later on, I found that Jonathan and Run ' er were safe. I saw Run' er training very hard at MOE Evans Rd Track for this race. 

It is good to hear that all Singaporeans are safe. 

At 11:20pm today, which is now, I just got the good news that Ashley is in now at South Carolina, USA, back in school. A very challenging day for him today. Thanks to his chiropractor Kelvin Ng for this message.

Having said that. Ashley will now tell his first-hand account of his own race and also on the bombing news which he experienced in Boston.

An Interview With Ashley Liew

At what time the race started?
Race started at 9:32am for female elites, and 10am for wave one. Waves two and three started at 10:20am and 10: 40am, respectively. I started just behind the male elites, in wave one.

What was the timing of the running time for your marathon race and are you happy with it?


Also, can you share with us the running course of the Boston Marathon?
I did 2h44m07s. I am content with this timing, considering I ran until I had absolutely nothing left to give. For one of the first few times, I had no cramps throughout a marathon, despite the hilly course. But after 10 miles (which would transit into the long section of rolling hills), I began losing energy, although my legs were still turning over fast. I got quite hungry after 1hr of running, probably because that coincides with my usual lunchtime here. So perhaps, a bigger breakfast may have been needed.

Did you enjoy the run?
Boston marathon, being the 117th annual edition of the world's oldest marathon, certainly lived up to its legendary reputation. The race organization was superb, despite the logistics of a point-to-point race. The crowds there trumped any other race in the world. The whole city was out in full force, covering every possible stretch, sometimes even 5-person deep. How could anyone give up with such support? Their enthusiasm certainly buoyed the runners especially over the really tough segment of Newton hills.

Exactly at what time the bomb blast took place?
The twin blasts occurred 12s within each other at 4h09+m on the race clock, so I suppose at about 1.09pm.

Can you share with us on how people reacted when they hear about this bomb blast?
At first, I didn't even know about the blasts. I had just showered in my hotel room when I started hearing so many sirens in my area, which is a few miles from the finish. And then my friends started checking in with me over the phone. Only then was I shocked to hear about the tragedy. My thoughts raced to all those who were still out there, including other Singaporeans as well as my hotel roommate. There was little I could do as I had to rush off for my departing flight. The athletes who just arrived back from the scene described it as a bloody chaos. And on the way to the airport, a reporter who covers war zones said this was the worst he had ever witnessed. Mostly at the time, there was still confusion as to what happened, and amidst it, all the people were frantically trying to account for one another.

How do you feel after hearing this?
Hearing all this on the news made me sick. 3 deaths (including an 8-year-old boy) and 144 injuries, several of which in critical condition. Those statistics could have been any one of us. It is just a blessing the majority of us are alright. My heart is heavy for all the victims and their families. I also feel for the winners, as well as all the runners who did not finish after this happened. The marathon should have ended up in celebration, not tragedy.

What is your next target?
I will be doing Gold Coast Marathon next.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.