Wednesday, April 17, 2013

An Interview With Dhashman on 800m and 1500m win in Nationals Track and Field 2013

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

An Interview With Dhashman - Like Father, Like Son
 

In the past, about three years back, I remember Thangavelu telling me that he will prove himself one day that his training methods in athletics works. He is well known for his middle distance feats on the track in the past. Fortunately, his son Dhashman also liked running. He wanted his father to coach him rather than someone else. With the son's growing interest in running, Thangavelu trained his son personally and made him to finally get double gold medals for the under - 17 boys in 800m and 1500m  in National Schools Track and Field Championships 2013. The race was held today at Choa Chu Kang stadium. 



I asked him on his feat today and he answered Part 1 of the interview questions that I posed to him.

Picture 1 - Aims to do a 1min 56sec to 1min 58sec in one to two years time.




Can you share with us on your running interest from secondary one to five?
I was not a strong runner in the past. My father was actually interested in developing me gradually. He did not want me to burn out as what was going on with some athletes. My dad took a very careful approach and made me forgo winning for the time being until I was a bit older to take workouts. Hence, my dad did not push me to get results in the earlier phase of my training days. This made me enjoy running. 

Many athletes of my age groups at first were overtaking me in races when I took up running as a hobby and passion. 

From secondary onwards, religiously, I followed my father's advice in coaching and did not bother about winning. The results were not there before secondary 3. 

It was only in sec 3 that I started doing 4 min 32sec for the SAA track and field series races. In Sec 4, I qualified only for the 400m semi-finals with a time of 54.56sec. I was out of contention for the finals of the 400m race. I was third last year for National Schools' Track and Field 800m race. I did 2min 03.34sec.

From January to now, can you share with us on the races that you had run?
I ran in the 5km race in Jan SAA track and field series races and did 17min 49sec. In 1500m I did 4min 31sec. Gradually, I did the series 2 and took part in 800m and 1500m races. I did 2min 05sec for 800m and 4min 24sec for 1500m race. 

In March, I did 4min 20sec for the 1500m race. In the National Schools' Track heats, in April, I did 4min 30sec in the heats. I relaxed during the race and I did not push. Eventually, I did 4min 19sec. 

What is your long - term plan for one to two years' time?
My father has planned with me to do a 1min 56sec to 1min 58sec. 

Can you share with us on why did you start running?
I was interested in running. 

How do you feel when you are aware that your father was a SEA Games Gold medalist in 2000m steeplechase?
I feel a kind of pressure on expectation on me to get the gold. 

In this years' National Schools' Track and Field race, what were your strategy to run in 800m and 1500m?
My father and I were targeting for a personal best, that is all. In 800m and 1500m, I had to go for my time. I knew that I was being pursued because I was hearing some sounds from behind while I was running in front. Winning or losing was not important for me as the prime target was to cross my limits - that is, breaking the 4min 20sec barrier in 1500m. I did not want to think about my opponents before the race and I kept telling myself to go for the personal best time.

Did you any form of nervousness?
Yes, I had because I could hear the crowd cheering for their athletes. This caused the take control of me for a while. However, as soon as I starting running in the race, my focus was back and I was sticking to our game plan. I did not want nervousness to take control of my target and I went for it. 

How did your parents feel about the race?
My mother was able to come for my race as my father had to work. After the race, they felt proud of my achievements. They felt very happy.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.