Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Jonathan Kang's 3hr 04min 21sec PB in Boston Marathon 2013 - Shares on Boston Bombing

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By M.Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Jonathan Kang - Even though has done a personal best time, he still feels for the victims of Boston Marathon casualties.

Tokyo Marathon 2012 3hr 09min 
Chicago Marathon 2012 3hr 08min
Boston Marathon 2013 3hr 04min 21sec. 

An Interview With Jonathan Kang

1. What time did the race start? 
I started at 10am, which was the first wave (there were 3 waves in total). Unlike other marathons, this is the first marathon I've taken part that's starting in the late morning.

2. Do you like the weather there?
Weather was optimal at the start, around 10 degrees. The temperature probably rose to about max 15 degrees as we ran past 12pm in the afternoon sun.

This contrasts last year where runners had to deal with a heatwave (temperatures reached nearly 29 degrees). Had it happened this year, I would probably be in danger of another heat stroke!

3. Why did you take part in the race?
The "Boston Marathon" has always been the goal of most runners. It is like the dream of many runners to run Boston once in their life.- It was only in the past 3/4 years that I really desired to be able to one day run Boston. Just being able to participate is already a dream come true!

4. What was your time? 
I managed to clock 3:04.21.

5. Are you happy with the time? 
I'm definitely glad for this timing. But this PB was somewhat unexpected.

In the months leading up to the marathon, I was clocking weekly averages of 60-70km, which were somewhat short of targets. Moreover, I did not do enough Speed workouts & Hills. Making things worse, I developed a strange muscular pain on my right calf while in Boston & was painful even while walking. It persisted right up to the actual marathon day.

I had to take painkillers the night before, and just before the start of the race. Thankfully it helped to alleviate some of the pain during the run.

Hence this timing comes highly unexpected, with the additional PB as a sweet bonus.

6. Can you share with us on your personal best feat feeling towards the last 1km?
For this race, I monitored my pace closely & ensured I kept an even pace throughout the route. I clocked 1:32.00 at Halfway mark. Knowing myself, I usually would slow down in the second half, esp from 30km onwards.

Surprisingly at 35km mark (after the newton hills), I had managed to still maintain similar pace, as previous half.

Between 35-40km, I was losing concentration, just only pushing myself to not stop to walk - happy if I can finish a near 3:10/3:12.

Last 3-4km, I extrapolated that a 3:08 may be within reach. Finally, at the last 1-2km, 3:06 would just seem highly possible. With that, I just pushed ahead at the final km stretch without monitoring my time. I looked back at my watch only at the Finish, at a most unexpected finishing time.

7. How did you feel when you know about the finishing line bomb blast in the Boston Marathon?
My wife & I were contemplating to stay around at the finishing area to take photos, watch the event & go to a nearby cafe for much-needed drink (after all, this is "The" Boston Marathon). But finally, we decided otherwise to head back our hotel since it was very cold (I was without any jackets, only a T-shirt & jeans).

Once we reached our hotel in Cambridge (just opposite the Charles River), I received a text from a fellow runner that explosions had taken place at the finish line. Initially, I had thought it may be some fanfare, celebratory fireworks. But as I switched on the TV, to our horror, we were confronted with the footage of the dual bomb blasts at the finish, with headlines reading "2 dead & 23 injured". This was absolutely shocking!!

I mean, we were just at that very area like 30min ago! I can imagine a riot, but a bomb blast.... moreover, 2 bombs? It's just so surreal to us, we were just in horror & shock.

Even as we watch the news, we still could not digest that this is actually happening & unfolding before our eyes! A tragic disaster & a horrific act!

8. Does this bomb scare deter you from running races?
I'd be lying if I claim this bombing incident did not leave any memory marks in my mind. But bad things do happen all around us -even to good people.

Anything can happen, to anyone, anywhere, anyhow. We shouldn't allow one incident to cripple our passion.

Moreover, going forward, we can expect organizers of all future marathons & other races to review, revamp & tighten their security measures for their events.

So as for me, I'd still be looking forward to running overseas, hoping to be able to complete the Majors one day.

On a side note, even as the injured & affected get back on their lives again in Boston, this bombing incident ironically seems to have fueled a positive attitude & sportsmanship spirit amongst the community. I know for sure that for those who ran Boston this year, they will want to be back in 2014, and expect more to be running for charitable causes - that's true sportsmanship!

9. What is your next target?
I've not planned for other marathons yet for the rest of this year. Gold Coast marathon is still under consideration though.

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.