Monday, April 15, 2013

Archana's Interview on her 23min improvement in 350 10km Run

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Marcel Sng (Team Flexifitness' official reporter)

Archana,44, aiming to do a half-marathon in Stanchart Marathon 2013

An Interview With Archana

How do you find the route?
Very good. 

How do you rate the race?
If I have a chance, I may run next year. However, with many races in Singapore being held every week, I am also considering others as well.

How was the organisation of the race?
I was at the back of the race at first. It took me some time to get to the start line once the race started. At the start line, people were still walking when we were flagged off. It was only after some time that they started to run. There were bottlenecks at some points where the organisers could do something about it in the future. 

What was your previous time for 10km race?
I did 1hr 40min in the plus. At that time, I was not guided by anyone in running.

For this 10km race what was your time?
My time for the Run 350 was 1hr 17min. Coach Rameshon targeted me to do a time between 1hr 15min and 1hr 25min. Nearer to the competition, he targeted a 1hr 25min. I was asking him on how to improve the time such that I could do a time of 1hr 20min, my dream time. 

With reluctance, Coach Rameshon asked me whether I would do the unorthodox training method which has worked for many people. I asked around a few of the group people and they told me that the intensive training worked for them. However, he told me that a good base of training and conditioning must be there before this is done. His ideology is that for every 20km, I can do a workout which is totalled up to 1km. He followed the scientific way of training and it appealed me a lot. He also monitored whether I got burnout or not in the 3 third workout in the last 5 day before the race. 

I believe it worked as I could now run faster than what I used to do in the past. 

Overall, are you very happy?
I am on top of the world. I gave three cartons of 100plus and 5 boxes of healthy energy to Team Flexifitness as a form of my appreciation to them. I just wanted to say a big thank you to them. Now, I know that I am directed in the right path to improving my time in a short span of time. I am 44 years of age and I cannot afford to lose time any more. I am already nearing 50 now. 

I wanted a very structured way of training and I know that I am getting it now. In the past, I used to think that I may not able to do a sub-1hr for 10km. Now, I believe that it can be done. I am also thankful to the organisers for assisting me to attain the 1hr 17min, although I believe that I could have done a 1hr 15min if there is not too much crowd at the start.

What is your next target?
To run the Sundown Marathon 10km distance and do a time of between 1hr 05min to 1hr 10min.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.