Wednesday, July 6, 2011

St Joseph's Institution - First Day Experience

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

St Joseph's Institution - My Alma Mater

Picture 1 - Old SJI building at Bras Basah Road.



I have fond memories when I was doing my high school studies in St Joseph's Institution, from 1977 to 1981. The teachers were great at that time and the students that I met were all crazy about sports. 

Picture 2 - My report book looks like the one on the left, and on the right-hand side are the report cards.


St Joseph's Institution is in Malcom Road. In the past, it was at Bras Pasah Road, where opposite it Singapore Management University is located.

In secondary one, I remember my Form teacher by the name of Mr Rama told us to run from near Raffles Hotel along Nicoll Highway and reach Merdeka Bridge and run back. 

I had many friends, some of my friends were Ravindran, Tan Chin Chai and Tan Eng Howe. Tan Eng Howe and I used to train very hard for running, usually 3 times per week. The best we did was coming in third for National Schools' Cross-Country, after heats. In the past, having heats for the National Schools' Cross-Country was fun and we enjoyed, especially when we knew that we entered finals of the race. 

My sec 1 and sec 2 cross-country teacher-in-charge was Mr Joseph Varghese and sec 3 and sec 4 cross-country teacher was Mr Coleman Baptist. At sec 4, Mr Lui, the present Principal of Queensway Secondary was my cross-country teacher. It was fun training with these teachers in-charge.

My former principal during my student days were at first Brother Joseph Keily and then followed by Brother Kevin Bryne. Brother Joseph Keily and Brother Kevin Bryne had a pleasant personality and they used, in a subtle manner, inform us not to forget our studies. 

Usually, in the evening I used to see Brother Kevin Bryne carrying a squash racquet and this made a very great impression in me to pursue sports. Once I remember not doing well in studies and I was called in for a counselling session by Brother Kevin Bryne. All my friends who went in told that they were counselled. I became very scared of this and entered his room in a nervous manner. Brother Kevin Bryne told me to sit down and surprising talked to me on the event that I was going to run for the track and field heats. The whole topic was on sports and I enjoyed every moment of it when I spoke to him. I realised that he was an avid sportsman. After talking to me on my running, he just told me to study at the same time. He was a motivational figure to me. 

I remember him announcing my name for SJI Annual Cross-country that I have broken the school record in the presence of my father and this made me very happy and motivated me to excel in running.

Right now, the new SJI has a track to run. In the past, we had to go to Kallang, Old Airport Road, to train for track and field, as the track was not available.

Yesterday, was my first day of school teaching in my alma mater school and I enjoyed every moment of the atmosphere in St Joseph's Institution.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.