Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Daniel Woods From New Zealand Has Passion For Running

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Daniel Woods - A New Zealander's perspective of the Gold Coast marathon  2011


Ashley and I, after the Gold Coast marathon 2011, were taking our shuttle service bus to our place, Silvershore Apartment, at Brighton Street. While waiting for the bus, we met a young gentleman, Daniel Woods, from New Zealand, who was with his father, who came to support Daniel in the marathon race. He asked Ashley for the book that the latter was holding. We passed to him for reference. The magazine was on Gold Coast marathon and had previous details of the winners of the race, men and women runners. After reading the magazine, Daniel gave back the magazine. 

We shook hands and became friends. I realised that Daniel was aiming for a 3hr 08min for the Gold Coast marathon. We asked him on his marathon performance and he told me that he did 3hr 16min. I told him that he is still young, considering his age, about Ashley's age. I reiterated to him that the starting age to train for the marathon is between 22 to 24 years. I also knew that Daniel's father was very supportive in seeing his son do well in the marathon race. 

When we arrived at our bus-stop, Ashley and I told Daniel to maintain contact. He became our Facebook friend. Since I saw Daniel Woods as an enthusiastic athlete, I decided to interview him on his perspective on the Gold Coast marathon. Also, it is the first time that I am interviewing a New Zealander.

I also realised that Daniel Woods is a person who has this burning desire to do well in running in the long-term. I could see this thirst in him when I talked to him. I also would like to wish Daniel all the best for his running time improvement in future. Furthermore, I thought that this would help the runners doing a time between 3hr 20min and 3hr 59min to do well and excel in the future. 

An Interview With Daniel Woods from New Zealand.

How many marathons have you run?
I have run 12 Marathons now. My first one was in 2009(Rotorua 4:17:26)


What kind of training were you doing for the last 2 months, Can you tell us this in summary?

It has basically been three months build-up, with lots of distance. In the last couple of weeks, my coach (James Kuegler) has had me doing less mileage but incorporated a lot more speed. This has included lots of 500m interval sessions and a few 5km time trials/races.


Can you tell us on the PB that you have for the 5km 10km half - marathon and marathon?

5km-18:20 10km-39:10 Half Marathon-1:28:01 Marathon 3:16:55


Are you happy with your time?

I am not completely happy with it. I would have been happy with anything under 3:10 but after 24km my feet were really sore. It was my first marathon in Fivefingers and the maximum distance that I had run in them before was 27km so I pushed it a bit too much. I couldn't find another shoe that Í wanted to run in though.


How did you feel as a New Zealander running the Gold Coast marathon 2011?

I felt very good. It wasn't too far to travel and I have family that live close to the Gold Coast. Also, the start time is good 7:10am (9:10am NZ time) so getting up ''early" wasn't so early.


How does your dad feel about your achievement?

He is very proud and happy with the time even if I didn't better last year’s time (3:45:41) he would still be happy because I am sticking at it.


Any regrets about the race?

If I knew what I knew now I would have run in shoes instead of the Fives just because my feet were not ready for the full marathon. The race was a stepping stone, I have no doubt that I will be able to run in them in the future, and will continue to train and race in them over shorter distances.


What is your next goal?

The Auckland Marathon on the 30th of October. I really want to do 2:59 or better. Last year I thought it was impossible for me to run that fast but now I believe I can.


What is the reason for you to take up running as a passion?

I run because I get a sense of achievement when finishing races or coming back from a training run. I also look forward to competing in events and I just feel happier overall.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.