Saturday, July 23, 2011

Presenting a Paper - RJC Sports Science Conference 2011

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sports Science Conference at Raffles Institution (College)

Sports Science Research - Sports Participation in a college (JC) at a central district of Singapore.

This post is dedicated to Sports Scientists like Justin Fernandez, Raihan, Len Almond and Dr Mike McNiell

Today, it was a very good day for me. I realised that there were many studies done in sports and they were exhibited in one of the halls like space in Raffles Junior College. I came arrived at the school at about 9 40am. and saw the research designs of various projects. I was glad that RJC had invited me and give me the opportunity to give a slot for a presentation. Also, I was able to see a lot of research done and were exhibited as an abstract. 

I was interested in certain protocols of the research and was also happy to see some of the studies which had topics that discussed on caffeine effect, red bull drink and performance, standing broad jump by looking further and its effect, wearing of tights for recovery etc. I found 50% of the topic relevant to me. Of the 50%, only 20% was of interest to me, to study on performance in sports.

Then, later on, I met Dr Mike McNeill, a current lecturer in NIE, and spoke to him. As a former student of his, I reminded him that 90 % of the time students should be actively involved in PE. He was laughing and told me, "That is right, that is what I used to say and believe". After talking to him for some time, I met Mr Iqbal, a Malay RJC teacher, a cordial and friendly person. He went the extra mile by showing us our venue to give a presentation for our talk. 

Later on, I met Dr Nick Aplin,  I spoke to him for a while. Later on, I realised that Dr Aplin was also in our group to give a talk. At first, a former RJC student by the name of Cheryl gave a talk on the prediction from shots taken for a penalty. I was looking for Dr Aplin at that time as he was the fellow speaker but could not see him. Perhaps, he may have been there. The talk given on prediction on a penalty shot was interesting and I was chatting with Cheryl. 

Later on, I posed some questions to Cheryl and she answered appropriately. After the talk, later on, I was giving my presentation. I mentioned that my research started from Mike McNeill's study on Physical Activity done for his masters course and several readings from Len Almond. I also mentioned about Helen Gilbey's study on young children in the 1980s where she found that in the primary school only 11.4 % of the students did a continuous activity for 10 mins in Singapore. If we follow the American College of Sports Medicine's guideline, Singapore is short of this at that time. It was extrapolated that this is the same in other countries as well. Later on, I moved to say that Raihan's study on Physical Activity pattern and Justin Fernandez’s study on the same topic propelled me to do a research on Sports Participation in a JC in the Central District of Singapore. 

After a presentation for about 20min, there were 3 people who asked me some questions and they were given appropriate answers. After that my discussion ended. In the research, I have shown that school, parents, physical education, CCA, competition plus others affect the influence in sports. My talk ended and I was very satisfied with it as I was able to answer their questions and at the same time, there were no doubts in people.

Later on, I was waiting to hear Dr Nick Aplin talk. As I have found his talks always interesting, I sat for his talk. However, Dr Nick started off by saying that his talk was on Sports Science, which was on 'Inspiration'. He told the audience that his talk may be boring. However, repeated that his was Sports Science. I felt that he should stick to his talk and not comment on other people's talk. For a while, I found his talk was interesting. However, after some time I decided to take a break when he was showing the same demo that he showed us in Hwa Chong Institution when he came to give a talk, which had YOG theme in it.

After the talk, I met some of the 10A15 boys from Hwa Chong Institution at RJC.  I told them that they were one of the best class that I have ever taught in my life. They were asking me about SJI. I told them that it was too soon to comment. Anyway, after my comment, the three 10A15 boys were all smiles and bid farewell to me. 

Overall, I felt the day was good and enriching. I am grateful to Mike McNeills, Raihan, Justin Fernandez and Len Almond to enrich us with a better Sports Science knowledge that can make Singapore a sporting nation. Participation has bearing on the competition. More the participation, the more the support from people to excel in sports.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.