Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sara Ng - Preparing for OSIM race and Army-Half 2011

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sara Ng - Has been training for the races and is preparing for future races, including The Bay Run Army Half-Marathon 2011.

Today is Inter - Constituency 2011. I will try to write a report on this. At the same time, we have a female runner Sara Ng, whom I have known from the past was an inactive person is running  Research shows that when you are not active during the younger days when you grow older, you will still be inactive because of the force of habit that you have created when you were young. 

However, we do have Sara Ng, a female, who is in her early 20s, who have defied the odds and is very actively involved in running and is doing triathlon races. I decided to interview her on her upcoming race. Not only that, Sara Ng has got 8As for her GCE 'A'  Levels but she knows how to balance life with activity and studies. I believe that she will, later on in life, know how to balance doing work and exercise at the same time.


Picture 1 - Sara Ng is preparing for Army-Half and Osim Race, aiming for 2hr 45mins.           


Did you compete in any race in the past?
I've done the Army Half, Newton 30km and Aviva 70.3.

Will you be taking part in any race in the near future?
Yes, I have a few upcoming races: the OSIM Triathlon, Army Hal Marathon and the Desaru Long distance Triathlon.

Can you tell us about your preparation for the race?
On average I put on about 12 hours of training a week. In a week, I do 6km of swimming, 150km of cycling and about 45km of running.

Are you expecting any good time?
I'm hoping to do a personal best in the Osim Triathlon - a race that is special for me because it was the first Olympic Distance Triathlon that I've raced and won on my first try. I am hoping for 2hr 45min. Hopefully, I can better my time for the Army Half as well.

How do you find the course?
The course for most local races are relatively flat, but that is challenging in its own way since it means that much more speed is required.

What made you to finally take part in the Army -Half?
The Army Half has proven to be a very well-organized race over the years. I like the route and a half-marathon distance is one that I enjoy the most.

Between Army-Half marathon and Osim, which one do you find more exciting?
Definitely the Osim triathlon. I find it personally more challenging to compete in a sport that has three different disciplines and involves many other skills such as transition and sighting in open water.

Why do you like triathlon?
I like triathlons because it poses both a mental and physical challenge. I enjoy all three disciplines of the sport - I've been a swimmer all my life, I love adrenaline and speed of cycling and the intensity of running, and triathlon is the sport that allows me to do all three.

What is your long term goal?
I hope to be able to keep up with training and racing for a long time to come and keep triathlon as part of my lifestyle.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.