Monday, July 18, 2011

Lindy Yap, May Yong, Gowri, Kang Yan and Sheryl Loh.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Appreciation and Gratitude plus an interview on our upcoming runner at Monash University.

Picture 1 - Rameshon, Ashley Liew, Lindy Yap and Frank



I was just happy that Lindy Yap came to meet me in Australia and brought us dinner at a Chinese Vegetarian Restaurant. I have gratitude towards her help. She even brought me to May Yong's place in Australia, which took us about 30min on our way back. Ashley, my sister and I were able to come back at night to my sister's house through Lindy Yap's help. Hence, I thought that it would be nice to mention the kindness that she had shown in my blog. 

Secondly, my sister gave Ashley and me good accommodation and on top of that, we were given very good food. My sister Gowri is a very good cook.

Next is Sherly Loh, who have done 1hr 05min in 15km.  I was hoping that she will do a good time in the Gold Coast Marathon. She did 1hr 40min but I think that it is a respectable time although, I believe that she could have gone much faster. I also know that Sheryl has just completed her exams a few weeks ago before running in the Gold Coast Airport Marathon Half-marathon race. I decided to interview today on her past performance and her future goals. I was supposed to meet Kang Yan and Sheryl Loh in Australia, but couldn't. Hence, we thought that it is a good idea to meet back in Singapore.

Picture 2 - There is a lot of potential in Sheryl Loh after her 1hr 05min recently in 15km run.

What is your half-marathon time in Gold Coast Marathon?
I did in a time of 1:40:10 net time.

What was your strategy for Gold Coast Half?

Didn't have one- just wanted to enjoy the run! I and my partner Kang Yan aimed to follow the sub 1:40 green balloons that Australian marathon legend Pat Carroll was running with. We managed to keep the balloons in sight till about the 8km mark. After which, we focused on maintaining an even 4:45-4:50 pace.

What made you run in Gold Coast Marathon, running half-marathon race?

I had made plans to run the Gold Coast half-marathon since last December and originally wanted to have a crack at my PB set last year, 1:36:39. However, I was still pretty tired from my 15km race and having compromised on training leading up to my exams, I knew that doing a PB was not a realistic expectation. So I told myself to just enjoy the run and do my best- and also use the opportunity to get away from wintry Melbourne to enjoy the sunshine of Gold Coast!

What was the race called where you did 1hr 05min?

Lake Wendouree Road Race.

Where was it held?

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.

Were you happy with the time?

Definitely- it was my first time running that distance and I was quite apprehensive going into the race, having cut my mileage by a lot in preparation for my end-semester exams which had ended just a couple of days before. However, the reduction in mileage was probably a blessing in disguise because I went into the race fresh and itching to run. It helped that I found a pack of runners to stick with and I tried to keep up each time they pushed the pace. I could not have done the same timing if I was running alone, I think.

What is your next race?

The Tan 50km Ultramarathon on the 14th of August.

How will your preparation be?

Increasing my mileage and extending the distance of my long run on Sundays, as well as running more trail runs so that hopefully I can get the feel of running on gravel. As I have never run a marathon, much less 50km before, I am also seeking advice from more experienced runners about nutrition and training leading up to the event. I will also have to prepare myself mentally to tackle the distance, using visualisation techniques and reading inspirational running books.

How are you coping doing medicine course in Australia?

I am enjoying the course very much, as it is challenging and provides me with avenues to get clinical exposure while not being too demanding academically. This enables me to sustain my passion for medicine by not being bogged down by too much knowledge while having the time to pursue running.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.