Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Vegan Kenny Lee does 39min 17 sec for POSB 10km.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Marcel Sng

Keeny Lee, 27, does POSB run in a time of 39:17, well within his target of a sub 40 min.

On Sunday, Team V captain Kenny Lee did a 39min17sec for the POSB run 10km.  Kenny takes his time as a gauge for the Standard Chartered Marathon in Dec. Although his training now is well suited for the 5km/10km, he is slowly bringing it up to the full marathon level of training.

Kenny joined FlexiFitness just 5 months ago. I find that he is able to do personal bests constantly due to consistent training; as Kenny together with the Vegan group hardly miss any training. His vegan diet also helps.


Interview with Kenny Lee

How did you find the route, organisation, water points of the POSB run?
 I thought that the route was well planned. There were more than enough water and isotonic points for a short race.

What was your goal for the POSB run? 
I was aiming for sub 40 min, which is based on a pace that is just under 4 min/ km. 

What is your timing for the POSB run?
39:17 

Are you happy with your run?
Yes, I am satisfied with my run. I gave it my all and hit my target time. It was a good way to gauge my body's conditioning and readiness for the SCMS Full Marathon. In order to do better, I know I will need to get stronger. 

How was your training like? 
I was doing about 50 to 60 km a week, half of which was during the long runs in MacRitchie. Under coach Rameshon's flexifitness program, I worked on my steady runs, cadence and form, core strengthening and hill intervals, all of which have contributed to my fast improvement. I have never felt as fit in my life as I do now. 

How does vegetarianism help in running? 
A whole foods vegan diet keeps me lean even though I have not changed my eating habits (I.e I don't count or restrict my calorie intake). An anti-oxidant and fibre rich diet improves my digestion and maximizes absorption of nutrition so that I rarely get injured. And when I do I get injured, I recover faster. Faster recovery = more training = one step closer to my sub-3-hour marathon.




Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.