Thursday, September 4, 2014

Coffee - Good for performance or not - My Experience (Part 8B)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Coffee and my 2hr 24min 22sec performance in SEA Games



I remember being in Thailand for SEA Games in the year 1995. I had to take food - coffee and biscuits or coffee and bread, with butter or margarine. Most of the food was non-vegetarian. I realised that I could not consume most of the food provided for us. There was no place to buy food as well. 

I requested the SAAA (Singapore Amateur Athletics Association) manager Mr Ong Yoke Phee, to allow us to stay near the start point for marathon. Yvonne Danson, the female runner, also wanted likewise to stay near the start point, was supporting my tough stand to be near the start point. At first, this requested was rejected.  I was pushy on this matter as I was afraid of the traffic in Thailand will be heavy in the morning. The Indonesians and Philippines runners were staying near the start point so I did not find any reason for us not to stay near the start point. 

For the race, I had to get my own drink for eight drink points of every 5km section of the marathon route. I spent time preparing the isotonic drinks and I was very exhausted. Khoo Chin Poo, another Singapore runner also was running in the marathon race. By the time I slept, it was 2am. My heart rate was 56 beats per min, 2 hours before the Chiengmai SEA Games marathon race. For London Marathon 1993 - 2hr 29min performance, my resting heart rate registered was 38beats per min. Before September Berlin Marathon 1993 race, my resting heart rate was 34beats per minute. 

When I was in Thailand I was very fit, and I was having a PB time for 10km of 32min 22sec, as compared to 31min 46sec done in Loughborough for Loughborough Echo 10km race, I was surprised that my heart rate was 56 beats per min.

Before a day of the race, a lot of energy was spent to get the officials to get us to stay at the start of the marathon race, my focus was on getting the isotonic drinks done and it was time-consuming, and I totally forgot to get coffee.

By the time Khoo Chin Poo and I were about to sleep, we felt tired to think about anything. In the morning, I was not able to get any caffeinated drink. However, much we tried, finally we did not coffee or tea for our breakfast. I forgot about this totally. 

Now, that when I think about my past, I wonder if I had taken coffee for those races, would I have done better? In this race, If I had taken coffee, things could have been different.




Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.