Sunday, September 14, 2014

POSB RUN 2014 - My Experience Today

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

2014 Paris Marathon to POSB Run 2014

After 2009, Oct, I realised that I got myself injured at my knee area. I went to see doctors and other professionals who could help me to come out of the knee problem. I was not able to run and I had problems walking down the stairs. 

Picture 1 - An interview for doing well as a team (courtesy of Doris)


















Somehow, I did some yoga exercises taught by my yoga teachers in the past and also did exercises to align my body, that got me out of injury. I realised that it is important to align the body, and all will be well. The next important thing I learned is that when a person overexerts in stretching, one will not do well in running and at the same time, one may get themselves injured if they do that. 


Picture 2 - Team  A and Team B came in champion and second, respectively, today (Courtesy of Moses)












When I got myself off an injury, I ran in the Gold Coast Marathon and did about 4 hrs. While I was running, I told myself to complete the race and get at least the finisher t-shirt, in order to show myself that I can complete a marathon again, having won 2008 Stanchart Marathon, in the past. As for Lim Thow Wee improved his time to 2hr 53min in the race. Two months before that he did 2hr 57min in Seoul Marathon. It was another feather in his cap.

Over time, I did 3hr 10min for the Stanchart Marathon 2013, December, coming in as the fastest local veteran for 40 years and above and 10th in the international category, for men veteran. 

Later on, I did 7min 56sec for 2.4km in March, while Lim Thow Wee did 7min 44sec. We went to Paris Marathon 2014, with Jennifer joining us as well. It was an achievement for us as Lim Thow Wee did 2hr 48min 49sec breaking the sub-2hr 50min barrier for the marathon. During the trip, I realised that I did not clock good mileage and I told myself to just complete the race. It was an experience.

After that, I got a sharp pain which restricted me from doing competitive runs. Now, I got myself back to running by doing a 45min 42sec, an unofficial time for the POSB Race. Our coaches also ran to set an example to our athletes.

Now that I am cleared of injury, I am going to train for the Chicago Marathon 2014, which is coming on Oct 12. I am hoping to do a 45min 42sec for each 10km splits, throughout this marathon race.

I will share the race experience today in tomorrow's post.




Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.