Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mrs Chin Bee Kuan - Another J -TIGERR of Hwa Chong

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Mrs Chin Bee Kuan - An example of one who leads with compassion and one who speaks with kind words.

" Better than a gift given with a joyous heart are sweet words spoken with a cheerful smile." (Kural, 58)


A few days ago, Mrs Chin (Deputy Principal of Hwa Chong - College) invited Mr Lee Kai Sim (Dir PE) and I to a lunch treat. Later we fixed the lunch to be at Miao Yi vegetarian restaurant at Coronation Plaza on 29th of April (Friday), two after the National Schools' Track and Field Championships 2011.  It was a personal request from her. I felt elated and honoured by this.

Earlier on, during my stay in Hwa Chong, I used to meet Dr Hon for problems and he would give me the greatest support in anything by solving. If you ask me on who has given the greatest support in Hwa Chong, I would say that it was Dr Hon. I have a firm belief that he is one of the best problem solvers I have ever seen. He is also very prompt in responding to problems and he will not wait for problems to be solved tomorrow. There and then he solves.

Over time, I also found that another person whom I admire as a leader in terms of holding on to high values is Mrs Chin Bee Kuan. A number of times I have visited her for problems. The first thing she does is always to smile and answer. Many occasions she has shown me that she is one of those whom one can confide so as long one is sincere to their words and action.  

During the lunch treat, Mrs Chin told me about her previous schools that she came from and how she became the deputy principal of Hwa Chong. Our conversation, later on, turned to marathon running. Mr Lee Kai Sim, another keen runner also shared his experience running 84km of Sundown marathon during our conversation. I realised that Mrs Chin liked to know new things on what is going on in sports research, currently.

I found from my experience that she is one of the friendliest people that I have ever met on earth. Our Director of PE, Mr Lee will definitely agree with this 100%. With her presence, one just feels energetic to do even more to work for the school after a conversation. In short, I find Mrs Chin a charismatic leader.

There was once she even came down for a running clinic that I was conducting, a few years back. I felt elated and humbled by her mere presence.

As a person who believes in sports for health, she had even asked me on how to run the marathon during lunch. I shared with her the knowledge from Dr Clyde William's research on the easy way that one can easily do a marathon.

As such, to find out more on Mrs Chin she has given her interview in MOCH magazine which has been printed out by Hwa Chong. She has given her thoughts and ideas that I am going to present in part 2 of her post. This post is just part one. She is one whom a student could choose to emulate as a leader. It is rare to see a leader like in this era who can smile when there is a problem and also not waver from the path of truth.

I find that Mrs Chin in every way follows the J-Tigerr motto of Hwa Chong.

J - Joy
T -Teamwork
I - Integrity
G - Global Perspective
E - Excellence
R - Resilience
R - Respect

Eventually, I congratulated Mrs Chin and Mr Lee on Hwa Chong success as a champion school in the Nat Sch's Cross-Country and Nat Sch's Track and Field Championships. Later on, we parted.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.