Thursday, May 26, 2011

Brendan Lee - First For His Age Group Triathlon in Bintan, Indonesia

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Brendan Lee - Sacrifices Standard Chartered Marathon for Phuket Half - Iron man race.

Brendan Lee came in 9th in last year's Standard Chartered Marathon, Singapore, in front of Lim Thow Wee. Both runners did well considering the terrain that they had to counter. For this year, Brendan became the vice-president of Singapore Management University triathlon team. I am coaching him and he is getting faster, over time, in running. While he is progressing very well in his running, he has seen progress in swimming as well. 

In Bintan Triathlon, Brendan came in as the champion last weekend and I thought that is a good idea to feature him. His form is good as compared to the past and I feel that he is capable of achieving sub - 2hr 50min in 2-3 weeks time if he is given a marathon. In fact, I believe right he may be able to do it already. 

Having said that, I believe that the best way to know him is to interview him to find out his directions in running and triathlon. 

Picture 1 - Brendan Lee from SMU wins for his age group in Bintan Triathlon 2011



Give us some details on this race? 
The race was Bintan Triathlon in the Olympic Distance. The race is quite different from races in Singapore as the route is a lot more hilly and the race starts at 2pm, making it very hot.

How is your training go for this race?
 
I would say that training didn't really go according to plan as I am on internship and it is quite hard to get used to training after an entire day at work. As such, I had to have more easy training days and I did not get many long runs in.

Are you happy?
Overall, I'm rather satisfied with my race especially for the swim. Swimming is my weak discipline and I expected to lose at least 5 minutes to my teammates that are better swimmers. Thanks to my teammate, Ben, who looked after me during the swim, I only lost a couple of minutes. As I went really hard during the bike leg to catch up, I started the run leg almost cramping and had to slow down to finish the run without cramping. I should have taken in more sodium during the race I guess.

What was your target for this race?
This is actually my first race at this distance so I just wanted to do a good race and try for top 3.

Are you running in the Standard Chartered Marathon, Singapore?

No. I intend to represent my school for the Phuket half-ironman race which falls on the same day as the SCSM this year.
 
Will you be running any more marathons this year?

Depending on availability, maybe 1 marathon this year.

Any obstacles that you are facing?

My obstacles will be due to work as it is tiring and it is not easy to take time off to go for overseas races. I am still trying to adapt to training in all 3 sports under different coaches. But I think I am slowly making progress and I hope to improve my swim to another level soon. Running wise, Mr Ram has a program to maintain my speed and endurance with lesser sessions. So that it is good for me. 

What is your goal for the year 2011, your biggest goal?
I decided to dedicate this year towards triathlon as I am the vice president of the Singapore Management University Aquathlon team. My ultimate goal is the Phuket half ironman where I hope to beat the time I set during the Aviva half ironman in Singapore. The course there is very hilly and teammates who did it last year have mentioned the need to walk up the hills as it was too steep to cycle.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.