Tuesday, May 17, 2011

5000m - A Review on Singapore Athletics (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

5000m - A Review on Singapore Athletics 2011

Jeevanesh is a quiet achiever who has very good sportsmanship values. As an athlete, he honours great sportsman from Hwa Chong like Jeffrey Ng, Peter Marini and other Hwa Chongians who excelled in Hwa Chong Track History. Both Jeffrey Ng and Peter were champions trice in the National Schools' Cross-country Championships. Jeffrey Ng still holds the 3000m electronic record for under 17 in the National Schools' Track and Field Championships.  

Having said that, speaking on Jeevanesh's character, I found that Jeeva has not told something that shows that he is proud. The best thing about him is he respects everyone. As his personal coach, I feel elated that I am training someone who has this kind of character. 

Deputy Principal of Hwa Chong Institution (college), Mrs Chin Bee Kuan praised recently to me that Jeevanesh is a very responsible student who can excel well in both running and studies.  She found this amazing.

Recently, Jeevanesh has broken the School's record time of 5000m and 1500m by doing 16min 15sec  and 4min 16sec, respectively, in the National Schools' Track and Field championships. 

This year, in the track and field event, Jeevanesh and all Hwa Chong boys and girls were told to do an event only. From doing 2min 05sec in the SPH relays, finally, Jeevanesh has bettered the 800m timing. He has broken Boon Hui's 2min 06sec time in the 800m race, in the process breaking the championship record. This record had been standing there for several years. 

Right now, Jeffrey Ng has the school record in 3000m steeplechase finals (10min 13sec). Yeo Si Heng tried to break but was unsuccessful in this effort. However, Yeo Si Heng has a very good personal best time of 10min 23sec.
This year, by moving up from middle distance to long distance, Jeevanesh broke the national schools' cross-country record time set by Soh Rui Yong's time of 15min 20sec to 14min 57sec for the 4.6km route. 

It is therefore now conclusive that Jeevanesh Jeeva has speed, speed endurance and endurance. His goal is to slowly improve the national record time of 14m 57sec and get a medal in the SEA Games of the future. Having said that, I will now interview this athlete to you. 

An Interview With Jeevanesh

How do you find doing your PB in 800m Finals, yesterday, running in Hwa Chong Track and Field Heats?
I find it difficult to achieve my PB as I had my GCE 'A'Levels Physics SPA on the same day, I managed to go under my PB by 0.04s.

How many records have you broken this year?       
I guess I broke 4 records this year as follows.
1. Cross Country Nationals A-div (15.20) - 14:57
2. HCI School Nationals A-div 5000M (16:40) - 16:15
3. HCI School Nationals A-div 1500M (04:17) - 04:16
4. HCI School Championships A-div 800M (02:06) - 02:03
This feat wouldn't have been possible with the guidance from my coach and help from my team-mates. THANKS, GUYS!!

Are you satisfied with all the timing? 
I am satisfied with my performance so far but I guess I could further improve for my track events due to the focus we placed on cross-country. I believe that I made the right decision.

What is your strategy for this year?
We focused mainly on cross-country as we wanted to win the trophy for the school and for the track, was to qualify for ASEAN School Games and also to help the school to win the trophy which evaded us for some years.

Can you give your personal best time for other races, for example, 1km and 10km?
My personal best for various events are as follows.
800M - 02:03 
1000M - 02:39
1500M - 04:16:28
2000M - 06:10 (last year)
2400M - 07:24 (last year)
3000M - 09:30 (last year)
4200M - 13:36
4600M - 14:57
5000M - 16:15:28
8000M - 30:56
10,000M - 35:00 (last year)
 
What are you training for at present?
I'm currently training for ASEAN School Boys as well as balancing with my studies for A'Levels at the end of the year.

How long will you be training for the upcoming race?
I have roughly 2 months to train for this so it gives me plenty of time to improve my performance for the 5000M & 1500M events.

Where will this be held?
It will be hosted by Singapore.

What are your targets for this year?
My target is to do a sub 16 min for 5000M & sub 4:10 min for 1500M. My focus will be on the 5000M race as I want to try to do a sub-15:40.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.