Sunday, May 8, 2011

Celebrating Mother's Day - My Mother, The Greatest

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Mother's Day - A Day That We Must Always Remember.




Yesterday, I went down to my mother's and my wife's mother's house to celebrate Mother's Day. For me, this day is very special. I believe for many it is special as well. I feel that my mother is the greatest benefactor and guide that I ever come across. As such, I would like to relate to what my mother has done that has made me very proud of her.

In the past.

When my elder brother and I were in primary school, in De La Salle, my mother, Madam Thirumalardevi Murugiah, played a very active role in nurturing us in sports. She gave us the allowance such that we do not have a problem in staying in school for as long to do our CCA. She also ensured that we play most of the games and left it to us to pursue the game that we would like to carry on in life. Sometimes I would ask for more and it will be given without any question. My mother felt that in no way my CCA should be affected. Sometimes she used to come and pick us up after our CCA.

When I was in Saint Joseph's Institution, my father and mother always gave my siblings and me very good support. Anything to do with meals, my mother ensured that I get proper nutrition for it. She did not mind paying for my attire, food and transport. I t was this support that allowed me to be groomed as an athlete. 

The first person to be happy with my performance were my parents. My mother played a very active role especially when I turned vegetarian. I became a vegetarian after reading on Mahatma Ghandi's book. It convinced me that the human body's physical makeup is to live a vegetarian lifestyle and not become a meat-eater.  

I also realised that meat was for the body and vegetarian was for the mind and converted to this special diet. I also felt that it was wrong to kill animals.

It all happened in the army when I was about to enlist, I became a vegetarian. When I came out of the army, seeing my plight, my mother personally cooked for me a very special diet so that I do not lose out in nutrition in health and performance.

The national record of 2hr 24min 22sec that I did in SEA Games 1995 is in a way attributed to my mother and father. I feel that my mother played a predominant role such that I was able to hit the Olympic Qualifying time of 2hr 25min.

The next question that comes is on studies. My father was not worried on my studies. My mother was. So long I get a pass is enough for her to tell me to train very hard for my chosen sport, although she would remind us to improve on our studies. Over time, when I went for further studies in 1992, my mother supported me financially such that I was able to do very well in running and studies in Loughborough University, England, to do my Bsc (Hons) PE and Sports Science. There in Loughborough, I was glad to have met people like my coach, Alan Guilder and the great Sir George Gandy, our then University coach.

After coming back to Singapore, my mother had the wish that I should finish my masters. Her wish was greater than mine to do well. Finally, I completed a Masters in Education from the University of Western Australia in 2008. In that year, I also came in as the first local in men's open doing 2hr 49min in the Standard Chartered Marathon 2008. I did it at the age of 43.

Having said that, I always believe that we must acknowledge what our parents have done for us and have appreciation and gratitude for this. There is a proverb in Tamil says that when a parent kicks the bucket, one will start to relish the memory of what the parents have done for them. It is very good to appreciate and show gratitude when they are alive now that dead. It will be too late. Nothing in the world is greater than our parent's love.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.