Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sportsmanship and Running - Sandrasegaran (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sandrasegaran - An Exclusive Interview

Picture 1 - Sandrasegaran's favourite running route in MacRitchie is the 10km Northern Route.


In 1980, Sandrasegaran won the individual section of men's SAAA Cross-Country Championships. What amazed me a lot was that he was able to keep running all the way until now, from his teenage years. Sandrasegaran is a personification of exercise for lifetime health. Whatever the job was, he ensures that he finally reports to MacRitchie Reservoir without fail and run. He simply reminds of Ron Hill who kept training every day and did his best to stay this way.

Having said that let us hear from this veteran who has a lot of experience in running. I have put down his running achievements below the interview.

An Interview With Sandrasegaran

Picture 2 - I believe that Ashley must have learnt something from Sandrasegaran.



What school were you from when you were in Secondary School?
Bukit Panjang Secondary School. 

What made you take up running when you were young?
During Ponggol Festival (Tamil New Year Festival), I took part in a running event. From then on, I took up running

Can you give me your personal best times for the distance events?
1500m - 4min 20sec
3000m Steeplechase - 10m 07sec
5000m - 16min 09sec
10km - 33min 10sec
1/2 marathon 1hr 18min (Trengganu 1/2 marathon)
2hr 50min (Singapore International Marathon 1980)

What is your exact age, height and weight?
My height is 1.7m and weigh 50kg. I am now 60 years of age.

Do you have any timing that you have done at this age?
In 2009, I did 10km race in 47min. 

Are you a serious runner?
Absolutely not. I do not run seriously. I just run for the fun of it. I do not go more than 10km for any run. I just want to maintain my performance and stay healthy. 

Why do you like to run?
It is part of a stress reliever and I enjoy running a lot. After exercise, I usually feel good.

Are you married?
I am married and my two sons are all grown up now. 

Have you represented Singapore in SEA Games?
In 1984 SEA Games. I ran the 10km and did 33min 40sec for the event. 

What club were you from?
Swift Club. 

At present are you still training 10km per day?
I started reducing my runs after reaching 40 years of age. I am currently doing 10km for four days per week instead of every day.

Can you tell us your running routine?
I will stretch and do some strengthening exercises before doing a 10km run. I usually stretch after the run as well. 

What is your message for the young?
Running is good for you, try it.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.