Monday, May 2, 2011

Mrs Chin Bee Kuan (Part 2) - An Interview By MOCH

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Mrs Chin Bee Kuan - Deputy Principal/Student Development

What was your fondest memory of life in Hwa Chong?
One fondest memory was the Youth Leader Training Camp. It was a seven or ten days camp at Pulau Tekong for leadership training, and we still have it today under the OAC. At first, I wasn't selected as the camp was mainly targeted at those in Uniformed Groups (UGs). At that time, UGs were the leadership "thing". However, I went to my teacher and appealed and got accepted in the end, thankfully. It was a process of self-discovery that changed me, as things I did not know about myself started to surface under the stressful and demanding environment, with a group of people I did not know beforehand. It was very enjoyable and can be considered the turning point of my JC life. It also sparked off my love for adventure and nature. Till today, I still go trekking and mountain climbing and I don't think I will ever stop (Mrs Chin has been to Gunung Tahan trekking at Mt Ophir and Mt Kinabalu, and the aerospace camp, an 8000m Everest Camp.

What was Hwa Chong like for you?
It was a very diverse environment with a range of people coming from many different schools. My class with only 24people, had people coming from over 10 schools. Coming into Hwa Chong cleared up my misconception that people who studied did not know how to enjoy life. When I came in, I changed my mind about it completely as I saw many people who did well and knew how to pursue their passions outside schoolwork. I opened up because of my two years in Hwa Chong my potential was maximised and that was the greatest takeaway.

Describe what a typical school day was like for you?
It is quite similar to the current school day. We came to school, had morning flag-raising (we already had the turning around during flag raising), went for lectures and tutorials. Our day could end at 5pm too if we had practicals. So it is about the same - the only difference I can think of being that we did not have Project Work!

Is there any marked difference in the school system or students in the past from now?
Not really - HCI's paper standards had already been very high ever since my time. I guess one of the biggest differences lies in the 4As. At that time, only about a hundred students out of the whole cohort would get 4As, not something that everyone can easily get as compared to now when half our students get 4As. To achieve straight As was quite a remarkable feat, and to aim for it was challenging.

What did you feel was challenging about school? And what motivated you?
I felt very challenged by the multiple talents around - academically challenged, especially in chemistry I was more of a mathematics and physics person, and to see how easy it was for some of my friends with grasping new concepts made me see a whole new range of standards and capability I had never witnessed before. My motivation? Fear! Not of not getting 4As but simply the fear of failing.

What are your thoughts on leading your alma mater?
It is a privilege and honour, to be among the best students who have very high self-expectations.

Any final words of advice for current students?
Having gone through 44 years of life, I feel more and more that values are truly very important. As a student being told about the importance of values, it was difficult to understand. Working life has reinforced all the lessons of yesteryear, however.

Next Issue: An Interview With Ashley Liew, Tribob sprints, overall champion.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.