Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sportsmanship and Running - Sandrasegaran (Part 1)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sandrasegaran - Honouring Our Past Heroes

Picture 1 - Sandrasegaran has been running from his teenage years until now.


From the time I had seen Sandrasegaran, all the way until now, I realise that he is still running. When I was a young athlete in my teen, I was aspiring to run like him. In the early 1980s, Sandrasegaran was dominating the SAAA cross-country and long-distance running scene in Singapore. After a race, my former training partner by the name of Pannir, who was a 1.65metre lean athlete, told, " Hey, you just fly so fast during the run".  Such was his speed at that time. Even top runners at that time were losing to him.

When it comes to Sandrasegaran's training, not only he was running at Macritchie Reservoir 10km every day but he also used to cycle from his workplace at Farrer Park track to MacRithchie to run. After finishing his run, he usually cycles back to his workplace during his younger days.

When I was young, seeing his progress in running, I became very motivated to train harder. He was one of those who told me to go for it and don't wait for anyone. In one of the race, I had to apologise to him for winning him in the race, for I always had a lot of respect to this athlete who was wise and mindful of his training. I have seen some athletes showing unkind face to me when I win them in a race, but not Sandrasegaran. He showed magnanimous attitude and he once told me, "If you have to overtake me, please do overtake me and do not hesitate." "Go ahead and don't look back, It is ok for me, thinking that I am fed up is your imagination." Such was his bravery in losing to a person who was his admirer.

After that, it was improvement, improvement and more improvement as I did not look back when I win a person or lose a person. Over time, I saw less of Sandrasegaran. However, he was always training every day in MacRitchie at that time and even now.

I hope everyone can draw some inspiration and learn some lessons from him and continue to exercise for life.

Picture 2 - (Left to Right) Ashley Liew, Sandrasegaran and Rameshon


Sandrasegaran and Dr Ben Tan

I was in Berlin with Daniel Ling for the Berlin Marathon 2008. It was there that I met Dr Benedict Tan who invited us to come and join for dinner together. Anne Date also joined us for dinner. During the dinner, we discussed so many things and one of them was on recommending to Dr Ben Tan to train with us on one of the days to do a workout. In total, he joined us for 5 sessions of the 6 weeks and did 2hr 56sec and came in 3rd in Men Open section of the Standard Chartered Marathon 2008.

While in Germany, Dr Ben Tan told me that one of the advice that I was giving him at that time was similar to what Sandrasegaran had given him earlier. In Berlin, Dr Ben Tan asked me whether I know Segar or not. At that time, I did not know that he was mentioning Sandrasegaran.

Now that 2 1/2 years have passed, I realised that he was actually mentioning on Sandrasegaran. I asked the latter whether he had given Dr Ben Tan any advice. He told me that he had. Hence, I was thinking about letting the running community be aware of this motivating figure who keeps running from his teen years until now. Even today he came to MacRithchie to run. Such is his passion for running.

I will introduce Sandrasegaran in a form of an interview in Part 2, if possible today, for the benefit of athletes in Singapore.


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.