Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Coffee - Good for performance or not - My Experience (Part 6)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Coffee - Has pros and cons



During my training days, especially in the early 1990s, there were times that I got injured. Through my athlete Kok Kong, I was introduced to bone-setters. I have forgotten about the whereabouts of this place if you ask me now. This happened a long time ago.

The bone-setter gave a therapy that had 'crack' sounds from my back, hip area, and I was alright to run on the day itself. It was a miracle. I thank Kok Kong for this speedy recovery. The therapist told me to do back strengthening exercises and to avoid caffeine product like coffee and tea. The therapist told me about other food I need to avoid and to recover fast from it. I just followed her instruction to the very letter and was disciplined to follow it, and I got better. I did go one more time and that was the last time for me. I was able to cure myself by doing stretching and strengthening exercises to avoid injury. 

Usually, because of my regular and complete running yoga stretching regimen, I usually did not get myself injured. However, even though when I did my stretching exercises, which also involves strengthening as well, before and after a run, I got myself injured at times, however, the injury rate was very minimal. (I ended my serious running at the age of 27 with no injury). 

Usually, I did not have hips problems and if my athletes were facing problems from the hip area, I used to give them the stretches that will make them come out of the injury. I did what the therapist had given me and my own yoga stretches and got the injured athletes recovered very fast from it. 

Scientific articles have mentioned on wind produced by coffee or tea which can cause stitch in a runner. Coffee can also activate the sympathetic nerve which elevates the heart rate. In a race, the disadvantage coffee has is that the heat in the body is elevated causing the heart rate to be elevated. This causes the impairing of one's performance. This was shown is some research studies. 

When it comes to injury, I have prevented myself from taking coffee or tea for a few months when I was injured. Over time, I recovered from injury, besides avoiding other food items also. Discipline is needed. 

Over time, I realised that coffee can cause a diuretic effect in a person. which causes dehydration of the body through this. One may pass motion more often than not as compared to taking non-caffeinated food, like fruit juice etc. As bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments and cartilage are made up of water as well, when one is dehydrated, one can get injured. It is important to hydrate oneself with water regularly. 

The biggest worry that I ever had in injury was actually getting achilles tendon injury. However, by good stretching, especially doing specific stretches, I was able to bring down the injury. Another way was to avoid coffee and tea totally for a period of time and resume when one gets well when there is no sign of injury. 

I realised that Kenyan runners take tea for their training. I also found that they drink nearly every day, especially before the run. Hence, I realised that tea forms part of their training. (Tea's caffeine content is much lower than coffee). The only thing, I believe, is that one should do one's best not to be addicted to coffee and tea, and not drink all the time. I am not talking about Green Tea etc as it has been shown to have beneficial effects by taking it. 

One case that I have heard was that my friend when I was about 18 years of age, was drinking 18 to 20 cups of coffee per day. I have heard on other Hollywood actors and actresses doing this. When one does this it can be harmful. Excessive coffee drinking can cause over - anxiety instead as the sympathetic nerve will activate more and this is reflected with an increase in heart rate in one. 




Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.