Friday, August 22, 2014

Coffee - Good for performance or not - My Experience (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Murugiah Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Coffee - Is it good for young or old?

















Yesterday, after getting my blog post out at night around 10pm, on coffee, one of my athletes called me to ask whether I will be writing another blog post, the next day, that is today. I told that I will do that on Sunday. The athlete told me to continue on and requested me not to do it on Sunday. Hence, I will continue writing on the topic. 

During my secondary school days, I only drink coffee during exams. At secondary four, some of my friends have told me that coffee helps in making a person awake such that we can study throughout the night. I tried this and I did not see any effect. In fact, I was able to sleep better.

It was overtime, which is around now, that I noticed that coffee and tea are not that suitable for performance when one is young and active. Usually, as a child, we are active already and we don't need something external to help us to be active. 

That explains why some hyperactive kids should not be given caffeine as they are already active. By giving young children coffee, one will make them to sometimes to feel restless and they, in turn, disturb the classroom and its environment.

Red Bull drinks have some instructions on children not to take as it can cause them to be hyperactive and this can be detrimental to their behaviour. 

Anything more, it can only make me hyperactive and it could make me feel more restless over a few hours. Caffeine can create havoc as the child may not feel calm and one may start to get agitated for little things, that actually comes from the coffee effect.

When I was young, I saw no difference in all drinks.

When I was young, I saw no difference between tea, coffee, Horlicks and milo. Instead, I liked milo. I met Kenyan born Danish Wilson Kipketer, former world record holder who broke Sebastian Coe's 1min 41.71sec in the past. He was in Singapore and he told our Flexifitness group, in the past, that young people should not get a massage as they are still young and their body is still growing etc..He told that children are not miniature adults. He said that some of the things that are needed when one is older should be given at a later date and not now. He said that there are some things that the young should not take. Wilson told us that he takes coke once in a while. He says that his own son likes to drink every day and he said that it was not for the son.

Having discussed this, I find that it is an important keep at the study on coffee/tea/red bull to find out on whether caffeine is good for the young ones or not. Till then, my suggestion is to take when one is nearing adulthood.




Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.