Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mr Andrew Chang - 1hr 37min 52sec at 53years of age, in Army Half-Marathon (Age is no barrier)

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Saranniya

Mr Andrew Chang - An inspiration for me

Picture 1 - Andrew Chang, third person from the left-hand side of the photo.


An Interview With TEAM Flexifitness Athlete Mr Andrew Chang.


My observation nowadays is that many people are getting interested in running. In races, it is very crowded all the time. I believe that the government and the Sports Council have been doing a wonderful job of making people be active in life and have a good work-life balance.



You may ask me on where is the proof that registration is overwhelming in running in Singapore? You can see from the deadline for registration for a race. In the past, I have heard that we can register one day before the competition. It gradually became one month, and now even if the race is about 3 months back, many people sign up for a race the registration closes because of this.


I have seen young and old running. People who are in their 40s are also learning to take up running. I was not interested in running at first. Right now, I like to run most of the time.



I have noticed that people over the age of 50 running races due to health reason. However, to see a person competing at 50 plus onwards is a thing I have not seen much. Mr Andrew, here, serves to me as an inspiration for me of a person who can run even at the age of 50 onwards. Before he joined us, I was told that he was conditioned well in running.


When he came for our group training at night, I found out that he is still working and he is 53 years of age. It was very impressive to hear this. In the Army Half-Marathon he did 1hr 37min. In POSB Run 2013, held two days ago, he did 44min 37sec for the 10km Men Open race, coming in 16th overall for the race. Hence, this I believe is very impressive for a young female runner like me. I came in 4th with a time of 48min 10sec and I am about 4 min away from Mr Andrew Chang.



I thought that, of all the interview, this is one of the most important interview that is in a way going to inspire many in Singapore, especially those between the age range of the 40s and 50s and above to take up running

Picture 2 - Andrew Chang is 16th overall in POSB Men Open 10km Run









An Interview With Mr Andrew Chang

1. What was your target for the race?
My target was to run a consistent 4m 35s per km pace throughout the route. That would be a target finish time of 1h 36m 42s.


2. What are your 5km,10km.15km split timing?
I hit close to my target, about 1 min off.  My finish time was 1h 37m 52s. I thought I could do faster but guess not. it's good enough I think. I don't know my exact splits. But I didn't run at a consistent pace as planned - kept the good pace in the first third of the route, very sluggish in the second third, and picked up the pace in the last third of the route.
 
3. What are your feelings about the race?
I am satisfied with the results, it's a Half Marathon PB for me. And that's because I seldom race half marathons. My coach Rameshon said I should be doing more half marathon races and he's already setting aggressive targets for me! He believes it would help run my full marathon races better. I reminded him I'm 53 years old, and to take it easy on me. I want to run for the long haul, keep aspiring to run faster in marathons or stay a Boston qualifier every year. In faith, I'm saying this and God willing.

I also satisfied with the results because I'm currently training for the Berlin Marathon that will be held on September 29, so I didn't taper for this race. I kept my weekly training volume and intensity. 

4. How was the race route?
It was very crowded at the start. Couldn't run straight, weaving around a lot. Probably lost some time here. I should have stood right in the front and sped off at the start. It was a very scenic route but some parts were too narrow although I wasn't affected by it. A route with lesser turns would be better.

5. How was the organization of the race?
Overall it's good, lots of water points which is great. Race result could be real-time.

6. How did you find the weather on the day of the race?
Could be cooler and breezier. Perhaps drizzling too! :)

7. What is your next race and target you are going for?
My next race is the Berlin marathon. I set a pace of 4m 35s per km pace for AHM because my recent marathon PB is 3h 19m, and that's running at a pace of 4m 43s per km. Hence, I set a target pace of 4m 35s for AHM. I thought it would be a good tempo run in preparation for Berlin. I plan to run the first half of the Berlin Marathon at this pace and hopefully a tiny bit faster in the second half. I would love a negative split. Exactly what the target time is, I usually don't think of it too much. As long as I've done my training pretty much as planned, I simply trust it, and on race day it depends on how my body feels during the race at 10k, 20k and before the race really begins at 30k. Naturally, I will be delighted with a PB. Beyond Berlin, I am definitely returning to run in Boston again next year.

If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.