Monday, September 2, 2013

Moses Ng - An Interview on SAFRA Half-Marathon 1hr 26min 36sec Performance.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Team Flexifitness Reporter Saranniya R.

Moses Ng (on the right-hand side) - An interview that will inspire the 40-year-old plus that they can do it.

Mr Moses Ng's Nett Time


There are other short interviews that I have conducted after the finish of the race with some of our Flexifitness athletes who ran in the race. Nearly all the athletes rose up to expectation and did very well in the race. I am thinking of covering on Mr Moses Ng, age 47, first before going on to following athletes, especially those who have done their personal best time. These are nett time taken from the net. 

Picture 1 - Standing Men (left to right) Kenneth Lai, Coach Rameshon, Marcel Sng, Hong Yew Leong, Lim Szer Khee and Andrew Chang. Front Girls (left to right) Jennifer Quek, Tarandeep Kaur, myself, Divya.



Team Flexifitness Half- Marathon Athletes Performance
Mr Lim Thow Wee (1hr 20min 54sec), 
Mr S. Jeevaneesh (1hr 21min 43sec),
Mr Moses Ng (1hr 26min 36sec)
Mr Jensen Toh (1hr 34min 14sec),
Mr Andrew Chang(1hr 37min 52sec)
Mr Leong Hong Yew (1hr 38min 21sec),
Mr Lim Szer Khee- (Nett Time- 1hr 47min 47sec)
Mr Trevor Lum- (1hr 44min 05min)
Miss Tarandeep Kaur (1hr 47min 56sec)
Ms Jennifer Quek (1hr 51min 31sec)
Mr Kenneth Lai (1hr 54min 27sec)
Mr Joseph Ho (2hr 16min)
Mr Jimmy Tan (2hr 18min 22sec)

10km
Mr Bobby Ng - (Gun Time 55min 52sec, Nett Time - 55min 40sec)

Picture 2 - Coach Rameshon (left) with Mr Moses Ng at the finish point


How was the race and the race route?

Before the race, I was discussing with my wife whether I should be wearing a watch, as I always do while running, to monitor my pace. But deep down in my heart, the night before, I was thinking of not wearing one and just run according to my feeling during the race. Finally, I decided to watch a youtube video on London Marathon 2013 to observe whether elite athletes do wear a watch or not, before going to sleep. To my surprise, I realised that most Kenyan elite athletes don't wear any watch while racing, so I followed that. I am glad I did so, why?

Though for Army Half-Marathon, the water points were adequate and marshalling was done very well, as usual, is well coordinated. I find that for this edition, there were few bumps and boobies along the running route. After the race, I heard that some of my friends running, tripped and fell. I reflected and was glad that I was not wearing a watch and was not distracted. As such, I was able to concentrate on my form, my feel, my breath and on the running route and avoided being tripped. Hence on, I will not wear any watch while racing, now that I have realised that without being distracted by observing on my split time, I can concentrate on important factors mentioned above which will affect my performance in order to get a better time. Besides those that I have already mentioned, the race was considered well organised for me, as I was not affected and was running in the front pack.

Did you hit your target?
My target for this race was to do faster than 01:30:00 to bring me closer to doing a 03:00:00 marathon in an equatorial climate. I surpassed my own expectation by doing 01:27:01 gun time. For this, I am grateful to my wife's and my daughter's support and also to Coach Rameshon for his guidance in helping me achieve this.

How are you feeling?
Happy, surprised and shock. Why? Happy because to me it is a very good timing. Surprised because I expected maybe 01hr 29min plus. Shocked  because as I am not young comparing myself to most of Flexifitness active training members, with exception to Coach Rameshon, Mr Jimmy Tan, Mr Ranjith, Mr Tan Eng Howe, Mr Andrew, Mr Leong and Mr Edward Ong. Most importantly, after the race, I was still feeling strong and feel that I can possibly do better in future upcoming races.

How did you find the weather?
Weather-wise I can't ask for any better. The starting time was 5:15am, so I know that I will come back before first light.

What is your next race and target?
My next race is the K L Marathon on 29 September 2013. I want to do well in this race badly and the goal for me is to do it below 03:18:27, which is my personal best time done during the 2010 Singapore Marathon. I hope can surprise and shock myself again for the upcoming race. Finally, I want to add, IF I BELIEVE I CAN, I CAN. Maybe for the benefit of changing it for the readers of this interview is: If you believe you can, you can.

If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.