Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Leong Hong Yew - Big PB of 1hr 38min 06sec for Army Half - Marathon 2013

 Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Saranniya


Mr Leong, in the past, seldom used to talk to us when he joined us for our night training. Over time, he was missing from training for some time. When re-joined us he communicated with us more. Over time, he has shown us that age is no barrier for running.

After achieving my 9min 48sec for 2.4km time trial, I tried my best to overtake him during 8km steady run. After some time, I found out that he was getting stronger, especially when he did his UOB 10km Run in 36min 40sec run. Since then, I found him not an easy person to be beaten. Sometimes I try to outsmart him in the 8km runs, considering his older age and my younger age, but usually, I end up failing in this. I have a personal best of 38min 52sec for 8km.

After his Army Half-marathon run, this year, I found him at the finish of the race. He still looked fresh and I did not see any sign of fatigue in him. When I heard that his time was 1hr 38min 21sec, I was amazed by his gradual progress. I myself, calculated that he should be doing a 1hr 45min, from my guess, especially from the tempo runs. 

Later on, I decided to take a group photo before we left for home. I decided to interview him on his race and he told me about the race. He looked enthusiastic and happy. 

Before my interview with him, I am posting a blogpost summary by Coach Rameshon on Mr Leong. I hope that readers will benefit greatly from Mr Leong's experience.  http://rameshon-m.blogspot.sg/2013/06/leong-hong-yew-does-uob-run-in-36min.html

Mr Rameshon's viewpoint on Mr Leong Hong Yew


Mr Leong Hong Yew joined us in Team Flexifitness one day and he was not doing that well in our own program until an individualised training program was given. He was also willing to follow my advice after listening to me on physiology on training and how a training program can be optimised with the use of studies done. At that time he was doing 42min for 8km. 

After doing some conditioning training, he decided to do some brisk runs on Tuesdays and Thursday. He followed religiously. Especially, recently he showed some determination to do well in a training session and follow my advice on what to do for the first few sets and the last few sets during a workout and a race. 

Over a period of time, his time for 8km dipped to 37min in our very own time-trial. I would always give hope to them telling that Ashley was able to do scale from 30min 8km to 26min plus before coming in as the champion for the Standard Chartered Marathon race 2012. I believe this must have expanded the mind of Mr Leong. 

We are happy that he has recently done a 8km run in 36min 40sec. We expected a 37min flat kind of time for the race in UOB Run 2013. For us, we feel that what he did is something that I can say that he has risen to our expectation. Hence, I told him that this will make people work hard to attain their goal by staying committed to the training program. I decided to interview him. He also accepted gladly.

An Interview With Leong Hong Yew

What has this race taught you?
This race gives me the opportunity to put in practice the tips and guidance Coach Ram and the rest of training pals (Thow Wee, Dr Benny, Andrew, Moses, Eng Howe, Jensen, Szer Khee, the young folks etc..) over the past few months. And not to let down my fun running gang who accompanied me on long runs over weekends.

Did you hit your target time?
My best timing over the last 12 months was about 1:55. I targeted 1:46 (5 minute pace) this time around. To my surprise, I managed to achieve a personal best of 1:38:06 (nett time).

How are you feeling after the race?
I still felt fresh after the race. At the start, we told ourselves to "treat this just another tempo session, except its kilometres longer"... I had the company of running pals who kept ourselves to target pace for the initial half of the race, thanks!!!

How was the organisation of the race?
I feel this is one of the better-organized half marathon races in Singapore given the abundant logistical support. However, certain parts are not well lit-up, which may be hazardous to participants.

How did you find the weather?
Weather was fantastic, luckily the haze didn't make a comeback.

What is your next race and target?
Next race is Berlin marathon to be held end September, which will be my 3rd marathon participation. I hope to achieve a sub-4 hour timing.


If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.