Wednesday, September 11, 2013

An Interview With Vijayaraj - POSB 10km Run 2013 (10th - 42min 54sec)

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Saranniya

Vijayaraj - Aiming to follow Ashley Liew's footsteps

Pic 1 - Vijayaraj, 53min plus in last year's POSB Run while Ashley Liew was the Men Open Category Champion for 2012 race.

Vijayaraj's blogpost has been posted yesterday. He has shown gradual improvement and he is not in a hurry to do well but to enjoy exercising and running in Team Flexifitness. 

One of his running mates is Mr Leong, who shares his experience in running. With the recent improvement in timing to 42min 54sec, Vijayaraj feels that his running mate is as good as him. He hopes that Mr Leong does well in the Berlin Marathon and inspire us. 

Having said that, I would share the interview I had with him recently. 

Progression of Vijayraj's 1.5km timing for the year 2011
30th July 2011 - 10min 13sec (Maximum Oxygen Uptake (19. 58ml/kg/min)
29 OCT 2011 - 8min 39sec
5th NOV 2011 - 7min 46sec
25th Nov 2011 - 7min 22sec
24th Dec 2011 - 6min 44sec (51.6ml/kg/min)

His 2.4km improvement
18th Feb 2012 - 11min 31sec (first-time trial)
26th May 2012 - 10min 34sec
25th Aug 2012 -  10min 02sec
29th Dec 2012 - 9min 40sec
20th April 2013 - 9min 28sec 
27th April 2013 - 8min 58sec
Currently - 8min 49sec
10km Posb Run 2012 - 53min plus
10km Posb Run 2013 - 42min 54sec

An Interview With Vijayaraj

What kind of time were you going for?
I was going for a sub 45 mins 

Did you attain your targeted time?
Definitely. I was satisfied with my big improvement.

Are you happy with this time?
Yes. I am even happier with the fact that I am the top 10 in the Men-category from 80th position last year

How was the race as a whole?
It was smooth. I did not really feel tired due to the cooling weather that morning.

How about the terrain of the run?
It was a good terrain for 10km, with very few up-slopes. However, the up-slope at the Marina Barrage was especially steep. 

How about the organisation of the run, in terms of water points and distance markers etc?
The distance markers were quite obvious but the water points were not organised properly. The distance between each point was not constant.

How do you find the weather on that day?
Initially, I was frustrated about the heavy drizzle that morning. I had thought it would be uncomfortable to run in such wet weather. Gradually, after the race had started I realised that it was very cooling. I told myself to go for it. In all, the weather was very good.

Can you share with us on your parent's feelings on your result?
When I told my parents about the run and my position in the Men-category, they were very happy. They encouraged me to do better in my running, which made me motivated.

What is your next step?
My next step is to do an 8mins 30 sec for my 2.4km with Coach Rameshon's help.
 
If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.