Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thomas Longosiwa (5000m - 12min 51.95sec) - An Interview

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Thomas Longosiwa - Believes that God is important before anything.

Recently, I discussed with Thomas Longosiwa from Kenya. I realized that he has done sub-13min for the 5000m race and thought that it is good to feature this type of athlete. He was given an interview and I decided to put the interview up in my blog. I told him that this would motivate the runners from Singapore and the world over. Finally, he consented. 

Olympian Thomas Longosiwa was born in Kenya on January 14, 1982. In 2007 All – African Games, he began competing on the senior circuit and came in sixth. Subsequently, running in the 2007 IAAF World Athletics Finals in 3000 m and 5000 m he was able to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He came in twelfth in the men's 5000 m final. In Qatar Athletic Super Grand Prix, he did a 3000 m personal best of 7:30.09 in May 2009, finishing just behind Eliud Kipchoge in a time of 7:30.09 minutes. He came in tenth in the 2009 IAAF World Athletics Final. 

On 16th January 2011, in Rovereto, Italy, running in the Cross della Vallagarina race, he ended as the champion. Running under sunny skies, Kenyan Thomas Longosiwa ran and won two athletes - Ethiopian Zalalem Bacha and Kenyan Paul Sugut on that Sunday.

Leading Results - 
Men’s race:
1 Thomas Longosiwa (Kenya) 26:06
2 Zalalem Bacha (Ethiopia) 26:23
3 Paul Sugut (Kenya) 26:37
4 Stefano La Rosa (Italy) 26:46
5 Wilson Businei (Uganda) 26:48
6 Vasyl Matvichuk (Ukraine) 26:49
7 Houssaine Oukhrin (Morocco) 26:50
8 Yuriy Floriani (Italy) 26:51
9 Stefano Scaini (Italy) 26:52
10 Eric Sebahire (Rwanda) 27:01

 
Longosiwa claimed victory in Vallagarina Cross-Country 2011
An interview with Thomas Longosiwa


Which year were you born and where do you stay?
I was born in 1982 and am living west part of Kenya in West Pokot District. 

What is your personal best time for the 800m, 1500m, 5000m and 10000m?
My personal best time is 3:41 in 15000m  done in 2010 done in Nairobi. I have a 3000m time of 7min 30se done in the year 2009 and it is my personal best time done in Doha.  In 5000m, I have a personal best time of 12min 51, done in Brazil. My 10000m time is 28minc 11sec done in Nairobi, Kenya, in 2006. 

What is your aim?
I would like to slowly move to marathon running overtime. After some time, I would like to become a businessman in future and hopefully, do well in business so that I can help the needy. I would love to do charity work for the poor. I would like to help my fellowmen who needs help. I will be happy with this mission. 

How is your wife’s support?
I am married and have children. My wife is very supportive and always tells me to believe in God. My wife always prays for me.

Can you tell us whether a diet is important for performance?
Diet is very important. Eating good food is vital in anything although I am not fussy in this.

Are rest and sleep very important?
Yes, I believe that a person must have 8hours of sleep, especially for running.

What advice would you give to budding youth in running?
My advice to youth is come up with rules that can help them to mould their character. As for me, firstly, I believe that one should learn to obey God and respect the elders. One needs to be very careful in choosing a good friend. One should work hard and have teamwork as well coupled with discipline. One should have the mental fitness and discipline to succeed.

The author would like to wish Thomas Longosiwa all the best in his endeavours - in his family life, world championships and victory in many more competition and to succeed in life in business to help his fellowmen.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.