Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Shaping Back to Run and Keep Fit

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Getting Back to Fitness - Four days holiday at Cameron first.












Meeting Commonwealth Sec School Cross Country Team - They were there for a short holiday.

Today I arrived here for holiday after training Ashley Liew, Jeevanesh and friends. After the training, my wife and I decided to take the night bus to Cameron for 4 days holiday here. We reached here in the morning. My wife saw the place for about 2hrs and took her transport back with her nieces to Singapore because she had to attend to something important in Singapore.

It was cooling here. Since I reached here in the morning and slept the whole night in the comfortable bus, I decided to go for a walk and jog. As I was going for an 8km jog, I met Commonwealth Secondary School Boys. As I was stretching, one of them ran to me and asked me whether I am Rameshon. I was surprised that these friendly boys were coming to me to have a chat. I realised that the Commonwealth Boys were hard-working at the strength training area in the playground and park. They were very nice people.

I shook hands with everyone - about 8 of them. They were discussing about the blog and told me that they like the yoga exercises and one of them told me that he does the yoga poses. He told me that he likes the plough stand a lot. I told that plough stand, headstand and shoulder stand will prevent one from all diseases.

What I liked about these boys is that they looked very joyful and they talked politely to me and I was impressed with the way they showed respect. I enjoyed talking to them.

Suddenly, one of the boys told me that he is on my Facebook when some told that they are my Facebook friends. He told me that he is under the name of Hicham El Geurrouj. I told him to use own name instead of El Geurrouj's name. Immediately, the boy was paying attention and was respectful and this impressed me. I told the boy that Hicham El Geurrouj is an athlete that I admire and he is a well-known figure. I told him that it is not respectful to use his name. I also told him that in a way he can be abusing El Geurrouj's name. Haris and the Commonwealth Sec Sch left a pleasurable impression of the school when told bid me farewell and they asked me whether I will be running again.

I told them that I have some problem at the meniscus, which comes from wear and tear. Studies say that people at the age of 40 tend to wear off the meniscus at the knee at that age if they are not active. Active people will wear off the meniscus at 45. However, I told them that I have been walking 2hrs per day a month back and now am able to run around 8km to 10km per day. I am hoping to run the marathon this year and am hoping for under 3hrs if I have no injury and have the time. However, I told that I am keeping myself fit all the time. The boys also felt for my injury and felt bad and then they asked me where I am about to go. I told them that I was about to go for an 8km jog or walk.

Later the Commonwealth Sec School boys and I took photos together and it was one of the best experiences that I got from them welcoming me to join in. I wished them all the best and went to do my 8km jog/walk. I was happy that I could do my 8km jog nonstop.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.