Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Malaysia's Karthik Jeyaram - Asian Cross-Country Championships 2011.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Karthik Jeyaram - Best Athlete of the Year Winner (SUKMA 2010)

http://rameshon-m.blogspot.com/2010/06/who-is-your-coach-my-coach-is-former.html

Picture 1 - Karthik loves his pet event, 3000m steeplechase race.


Karthik Jeyaram, who likes to be called as Karthik Steeplechaser, ran 3 races between 10 and 19 June 2010 during the Malaysian SUKMA. He won the 3000m steeplechase race, 5000m and 10000m in personal best times. He did 9min 20.25sec (Games Record) in the 3000m Steeplechase event, 15m 18.38sec for 5km and 32min 37.13sec for 10km race. Hence, he won 3 gold medals and won the Best Athlete of the Year Award 2010 from Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

His coach is none other than the great M. Ramachandran who was dominating the long-distance scene during the 1990s in Malaysia. Nobody could come close to Ramachandran as he was known for his invincibility in running a race. Many found his running awe-inspiring, including me.

Coming back to Karthik, I recently found out that Karthik is about to run in the Asian Cross-Country Championships on 20th Feb 2011, the same date that Ashley Liew will be running in the Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2011. Therefore, I decided to give him an interview as this will interest the readers from many countries.

How many days per week do you train with Coach Ramachandran?
Currently, I'm not training with my Coach Ramachandran as I'm studying in Kuala Lumpur while he is in Malacca. So I would just follow his training program and do my training at my university.

When did you know that you were selected in the Asian Cross-country championships 2011?
I came to know about this on 10/1/11. I got a call from the Malaysian Amateur Athletics Union (MAAU) office.

How do you feel about this?
I was happy and over time felt that it is good exposure for me to prepare myself for this year's SEA Games 2011.

How is your training going to be for this race?
For now, I'm still in the conditioning phase and hence the training are still more to endurance workout which suitable for cross country event.

Anyone else going for this race?
Only 3 athletes are going including me. There are SEA games double silver medalist Mohd Jironi and SUKMA 10000m silver medalist Sivamanogaran.

Is this part of the preparation for the SEA Games?
Not really. A cross-country event is a different event from track events. However, what I can through this is a good exposure to regional race by the MAAU and experience.

What are you aiming for in the SEA Games?
Firstly, I want to have the experience of SEA Games. Then, I want to go for a good time. Finally, I hope to get a podium finish.

What are the events that you will be taking part in the SEA Games 2011?
Probably my pet event which is 3000m steeplechase.
Any record, Malaysian or Sea Games, that you are aiming for in future?
Yes, of course. I'm aiming to break 3000m steeplechase national record in the future. I'm confident to break the record.

What kind of timing are you expecting for the future.?
I'm expecting to run below 9min in 3000m steeplechase. Upon breaking this barrier then I will look forward to lowering down the time even further, if possible.

In a dramatic 3000m steeplechase race, Karthik came in first

What other races will you be taking part in?
There are many races that I will be taking part in, such as Malaysia Inter-University Games, World University Games, Asian Track and Field and others.

Where do you think the competition will be coming from, the countries that will be given you a challenge?
For long-distance events, I think the competition will be coming from Indonesia, the Philippines and other countries as well.

Are you still studying in the university? If yes, how are you coping with training and studies?
Yes, I' m still studying in the university. It is really tough to be a student and as an athlete. It's really tiring. Furthermore, I'm doing a Bachelors in Physical Education. It's more challenging for me because I of the fact that I got to study as a student, busy with assignments, and the tiring part is that I have to go through physical activity-based subjects, such as swimming, gymnastics, rugby, softball, volleyball etc. It is really tiring. However, while busy studying and going through physical activities, I do ensure that I don't miss any form of training. I manage my time well.

The author would like to wish Kartik all the best for the upcoming race.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.