Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Daniel Chia - Still Keeping Himself Fit At 51

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Daniel Chia - Driving Taxi and Exercising at the same time.

I met my friend Benedict Boo, 36 and Daniel Chia, 51, three days back at the MacRitchie Reservoir canteen for a drink. Daniel was relating a race in the past where, in 1991, I ran and did 2hr 46min and that he did 2hr 47min in Penang Marathon. In my mind nothing was vivid. He told me that at that time he was representing Singapore, while I went there for the run by myself.

I also realised that from the past 20 years, I have been seeing this gentleman regularly training in MacRitchie Reservoir. In the past, Daniel related to me that he used to run with high mileage. Now, he does running more for health reasons.

Daniel lamented that, in the past, we could do sub-2hr 50min easily. I told him that about 7 of them will come in sub-2hr 50min and he verified this statement. He told me that the marathon runners of Singapore should be running faster and not slower. He told me that SAA should support the runners to go overseas to run and compete and improve the standard.

Both of us agreed that past management was liberal to allow us to go for more overseas assignments. He told me that even him getting selected shows the then SAAA's support to improve long-distance running. He told me that generally the long-distance running needs a big push now and it is so far not happening. He told me that he hoped that this will happen in the future.

What fascinated me a lot about Daniel Chia is he is keeping himself fit by at least doing 10km per day. I feel that many youngsters could follow this kind of example so that they stay healthy and fitness and save on doctors bills.

I decided to do an interview on Daniel and he accepted.

An interview with Daniel Chia

What is your height and weight?
I am 1.67metres in height and weigh 50kg. My weight has been the same after my young adult days.

When did you take up running?
At the age of 25 plus.

When were you very serious about running?
It was from the year 1988 onwards.

Why did you take up running?
I was a chain smoker. Taking up running made me lead a healthy lifestyle and give up smoking in the long run. I used to smoke 12 sticks per day.

Tell us something about your job?
I am a taxi driver and work for nearly 14 hours per day. Even with this, I still have time to go for my run.

What is your mileage like at this age?
30-50km per week. Nearing a competition, I do 50-60km per week.

Can you share with us on your wife's view on your running?
My wife, Poo Kwee Eng, in the year 1994, has done 3hr 37min for the marathon. Currently, she trains 3 times per week by herself. She supports me in running.

Do you have any children?
I have two children.

What is your view on Singaporeans to be fit?
If Singaporeans are fit, we lead a quality life and avoid seeing a doctor.
We will be fit enough to be a volunteer for reservist between 40 and 43 of age.

Do you have any feedback on this year's Standard Chartered Marathon, in Singapore?
Sorry to say this, but there are too many turns.

Races should have categories for the veteran, for example, between 40-45, between 45 to 50, between 50 to 55 etc. This will get more people to participate in running. In Thailand and Malaysia, and other countries, especially the west, this is a common practice. With the chip system to take the timing of all individual runners, this is definitely possible.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.