Monday, January 3, 2011

2hr 24min 22sec - Chiangmai SEA GAMES 1995 (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Thailand, Chiangmai South East Games 1995 (Part 2)

Picture 1 - Picture of me during Dec 1994, Singapore International Marathon



Note: Details are too long, hence the summary.


Second Part of Summary 1995 SEA Games marathon in Chiengmai.
The race started and it was pitched dark, I could not see anything except a motorbike in front of us guiding. I was with the pack of runners and we heard a pack of dogs barking. I realized that if I let the front pack go, I imagined that I may get bitten by these dogs and may end my marathon dream by ending in the hospital instead.

Picture 2 - A group of street dogs were barking ferociously at us while we were running. However, we were lucky that it did not attack.




During the run, I realised that Herman Suizo, the then SEA GAMES marathon record holder from the Philippines was trying to push the pace by injecting some pace surges. Every time he did that, we kept coming back. At the 5km, I saw the time as 16min 40sec. At this point, one part of me told me that this was very painful and was thinking of slowing down a bit. Nevertheless, at the 10km mark, we reached there between 33min 20sec. I realised that the pace that I was going was at 2hrs 18min to 2hrs 20min pace.

As the six of us, myself, the two Indonesians, two Filipinos and a Thai athlete, were all coming to the half marathon point, I realised that nobody was willing to give up. This was very discouraging for me, in a way. The time stood at the half-way mark at 1hrs 10min. Soon, I realised that this time was, in fact, equal to my personal best time for the half-marathon done in the Trengganu Half-Marathon race in the past and the distance was actually measured by AIMS.

Picture 3 - At the half-way point, I reached at 1hr 10min.



At this point, Philippines runner by the name of Herman Suizo gave up and stopped during the race. We were 5 people together finally. At the 23km, I surged to the front since I felt very strong. At this point, I saw the two Indonesians feeling very tired. There was a Thai runner and Allan from the Philippines as well. From a 20m gap away from me the Philippines runner, Allan, and the Thai runner came back to me.

Between 25km and 30km mark, we reached the point on time for a 2hr 20min or a sub 2hrs 20min. At this point, I could not take the severe pain any more and I was bearing with the pain. Whatever it was, I was still thinking of getting the gold and still pursued the 4 of them. At the last 10km, I realised that I can win all these runners as I am able to bear the pain until 32km. My heart and lungs felt strong. Physically, I felt very strong. The victory was in sight. However, from the last 10km to the last 7km, my calf began to tighten a lot. I was telling myself to relax the calf by mentally talking to my muscles. Things got even worse and the calf pain was becoming more excruciating to the point that I wanted to stop the race.

Note :

Herman Suizo was also a former national record holder (2:19.50) of Philippines who placed 51st among 116 runners in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.



Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.