Sunday, January 2, 2011

2hr 24min 22sec - Chiangmai SEA GAMES 1995 (Part 1)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


Chiengmai South East Asian GAMES Marathon (1995) - Part 1 of 3

This Story is written in dedication to my Coach Alan Guilder who taught me the correct way to train for the marathon.

Picture 1 - Logo of 1995 SEA GAMES at Thailand, Chiengmai.




SUMMARY OF 3 Part Story (Details are too long for the blog)

It was held very early in the morning and I had just 3hours of sleep. Both myself and Khoo Chin Poo were representing Singapore. I did a 2hr 29min marathon in Feb 1995 to qualify for it, which must be 1993 SEA Games bronze medal time at least.

Picture 2 - Khoo Chin Poo, came in 10th (extreme left) for the MR 25 Ultra Marathon 2010


Few days before the race, I found out that the Philippines and Indonesian runners were staying right at the doorstep of the marathon race start point. Hence, I was strongly requesting for this. At first, I was given a no to this. However, after much persuasion from me, they relented to this idea.

The house at the start point of the SEA Games marathon looked like a one-star hotel. I was not bothered by this because I wanted a good sleep before the race. I did not trust the traffic from Games Village. It was very hard to travel. With the stay at the doorstep, I was able to get a quality 3hrs sleep as compared to the games village.

Picture 3 - It looks something like this.




At times, Fandi Ahmad, our former soccer star, and I, after some time, we decided to talk to each other. We just spoke on important things and the conversation was short, sharp and simple. I also realised how a great and simple person he was.

Picture 4 - Fandi Ahmad was a soft-spoken person












While keeping my mind serene and in the present moment, I use to listen to music and songs to keep me occupied. I only listened to positive songs which had words of wisdom in it.

Positive words leads to positive action.

The only ones I was thinking about was my coach, my parents and the sages that I have read about. Coach Alan Guilder was an inspirational figure to me.

Before the start of the marathon race, a kind of absolute fearlessness was reigning within me. As soon as the officials called us to stand at the marathon start, I was telling myself to be ready for the battle of all battles, which is to improve my time. I took myself as the opponent and the real opponent was my timing, that's all.

One of the traits we should have is the fearlessness to do well!


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.