Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Night Out With Catholic High Boys

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

A wonderful night out with Catholic High School Batch 2000-2003 (10//01/2011)

Kenvin Teo, decided to call the old boys of the Catholic High Cross-Country Team to have a gathering. 

I realised that most of the boys I saw actually have changed in terms of their features. However, I saw them having an ideal weight and  I did not see anyone overweight. I was happy to hear from one of my former athlete complimenting me that I am still maintaining my weight well. Another of my student told me that he was careful in the choice of food, especially in avoiding the skin of chicken and meat. I remember telling my former students that the fat ratio in the skin is 4 as compared to the meat which has a ration of 1.

Peter Marini, who was one of the fastest athletes of the group, won a bronze medal in 3000m steeplechase in the Asean Boys' Games, during his Junior College first year. He has a personal best time of 4min 13sec for 1500m and 2min 38sec for the 1km track time-trial. In Junior College year two, he won the 3000m steeplechase race in the national schools' track race. He told me that he is still wondering why he was not selected for the ASEAN Boys' Games as he was the best runner at that time and a bronze medal winner a year before. The following year they send the 3000m steeplechase runner who was the best runner. Recently, anyone who has the best time will be able to run in the ASEAN Boys race.

The proudest moment of my life in teaching him came when he came to teach new features of Microsoft to the teachers of Hwa Chong Inst (College). I used to call Peter in my mind as 'Peter the Great' because of his untiring determination and iron willpower. Above all, he was always loyal, grateful and appreciative in whatever I was doing. Another happy moment for me came when he got 4As for GCE 'A' Levels. He doesn't speak a word in Mandarin and finally scored an A for that. Furthermore, after JC 2, he got an award 'Best Eurasian' in Singapore for his ability to lead a holistic lifestyle balancing studies with training. Peter was also a U14  and U20 individual champion for the National Schools' Cross-Country Championships in the past. With Peter Marini, Catholic High was able to win the team title twice.

Other runners who also trained very hard and did very well are in the photo. I was laughing a lot on that day as I saw the four of them Vincent Tan, Su Zhi Jian, Lam Zhengxin and Chen Weiyang (did not come down on that day). I used to tell them on how I used the strategy to separate the four and make them mix with other focused runners and finally got a gold medal with the leadership of captain Derrick Phong. Right now, Derrick Phong is having a rank of a real Captain in the Army and was busy to come for the dinner. It was very hard to contact him. It was really unfortunate that he was not around. He was one of the finest leaders that I have ever seen. In the year 2000, Derrick Phong was able to make Catholic High come in as the champions in B Division in The National Schools' Cross-Country Championships.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.