Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Xu Pei Hua (Part 2) - An Exemplary Of Exercise As A Lifelong Pursuit

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Xu Pei Hua - An Exemplary Of Respect, Resilience, Integrity and Determination



What memories come to your mind when you think about Dunearn Secondary School?
Dunearn Secondary School (DSS) is a turning point in my life. In primary school, my studies were very poor. I am a very active child, unable to sit down and concentrate. So I did not do well for my PSLE. By the kindness of DSS principle Miss Peck and my Dad’s patience and perseverance I got into DSS express stream.



In primary school, I always achieved gold for my physical fitness and think I can run quite well. I would like to join the athletics school team but I was not given a chance. Thus in DSS during one PW session conducted by Mr Rameshon, who was then a trainee teacher, we were asked to run around the school. I ran as well as I can. After which Mr Rameshon asked me to join the school’s cross-country team led by him. I was overjoyed.



As we trained hard in cross-country as a team, Mr Rameshon coached us in our studies. Through running I learn to do my best and concentrate, so I did extremely well in my Secondary 2. I was promoted from the last 2nd class in Secondary 2 express stream to the first class in Secondary 3.



Thus DSS to me is a turning point in my life.



How did you and your team fair in the National School's Cross country competitions in the past in Dunearn Sec?

In my time in DSS, our DSS team participated in National Schools Cross-Country Championships and obtained:



1990 2nd Runner-up Team for C-Division



1990 2nd Runner-up Individual for C-Division



1991 Champion Team for B-Division Girls

Where did you go after Dunearn Sec, the college you were from and university you were from?



I did well for my ‘O’ levels and enrolled at Anglo-Chinese Junior College. I continued to do well in my ‘A’ levels and enrolled into Nanyang Technological University.



What are you doing for your career?

Currently, I am a Lecturer in Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP), School of Information Technology.


How do you keep yourself fit doing this career?

I believe that running keeps my mind alert and gives me energy and confidence in the daily operations in my life. Thus I run 3-4 times a week and participated in Inter-StatBoard Games and Inter-Tertiary Cross Country Races. I used to run a lot with my colleagues in NYP.



What is your personal best time for half-marathon and marathon?
My best time for half-marathon is 2hr 28min.

My best time for the marathon is 4hr 34min.



What message you would like to send to student-athletes in running as a passion?



As a young runner in my teens, my main focus was to be consistent and disciplined in my daily runs. Running helped to develop my endurance, perseverance and believe that I can do well in something if I try. This is reflected also in the improvements in my studies. So as we do well in any sports we should also manage our time well to do well in our studies.



Running is not only about winning and we should not stop even after we leave school. It should be a life-long lifestyle. We should enjoy running. As you enjoy running, you would love to continue throughout your life. Winning might stop as there will always be another doing better but if you love to run it will last.

What message you would like to send to those who want to exercise to keep fit?
For the ladies, you would maintain a younger and slimmer look as you age. Generally, when you keep fit, you will not fall sick and feel tired easily. Ironically as you carve out a little time to exercise 3 times a week, you will find that you will have more energy and better concentration in your daily life.

What is your next goal?

My next goal is to run the marathon overseas. I would love to run the Gold Coast Marathon. I heard the scenery is exhilarating. Also, I hope to improve my marathon timing to below 4hr 15min.



How do you give advice to students who want to balance studies and training?



As mentioned above, I believe a good disciplined runner should be disciplined in their time management. It is possible to balance study time and training time with good planning and discipline.

How do you give advice to working people who want to exercise and work to achieve work-life balance?
Many people complained that they do not have time to exercise. Sometimes I do complain when I lack the discipline. But when I recall the benefits of keeping fit, I will make a point to wake up early or go out for a run at night to keep fit.



I set a target every year and draft out a program for myself to achieve the target. For example, I would set a target for Standard Chartered Marathon and would draft out a year program to achieve my target. I will also buy magazines like Runner’s World to motivate myself.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.