Friday, January 7, 2011

Augustine Tan Cheng Fu - Certificate of Appreciation (Part 1)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Augustine Tan Cheng Fu - The person whom I will remember most for the year 2011, Vice-Captain of Hwa Chong Institution (College) Cross-Country.

In Hwa Chong Institution, I used to have a problem recruiting runners. Last year, 2010, I had only two years two college runners. Gary Tse was one of them and the other was Augustine Tan. Augustine became the vice-captain of the cross-country team over a period of time.

When I was, as usual, training students in Hwa Chong during the year 2009, I used to observe a student, who kept looking at my training when I was training the cross-country team. Over time, I was told by Gary Tse, the captain of the team invited Augustine Tan to join us. He looked very interested and even now he runs and train frequently.

After some time, I felt that Augustine was an above-average runner, not really talented. However, he was able to do training that could match up to our top runners over time. He was using hard work and determination to do well in running. Even though Augustine did not get top 8 for National Schools' Cross-Country and Track and Field, he was able to do a 2.4km time which was one of the best in Hwa Chong, High Sch and College, as a whole. 

What touched me most yesterday was during the meeting, annual Hwa Chong Staff Gathering, High School and College, Augustine, nominated me in the electronic message board for appreciating a teacher. 

In the Certificate of Appreciation, it was written that Hwa Chong Institution would like to wish to recognise the effort that I had put in for having made an impact on the lives of the Hwa Chong students. It also stated that the dedication and care have contributed to the development of the Hwa Chong students, the school and our nation. This, I felt, touched me.

Message from Augustine Tan

Thank you so much for everything you have done for Hwa Chong Cross-Country Team. Personally, I am very grateful and thankful to you and I really appreciate everything you have done for me and for the team as well. Every time when we do our workouts during unearthly hours in the morning or when we train until late at night, you will always be with us, giving us guidance, motivating us and pushing us to do our personal best. You are someone whom I respect a lot for your tenacity, perseverance and passion for the sport. You are a great coach! Thank you so much, Mr Ram!


09S66 AUGUSTINE TAN CHENG FU
When I came back home, after the staff meeting, once it was night, I called Augustine and asked what did he do. He told me that the principal asks students to nominate teachers for their contribution in the electronic message board of Hwa Chong Institution. He said he did it. I told him that after reading his message, I felt very touched. I even told him that I was very surprised that it came from him than others. Anyway, this is something that I did not expect and predict. However, I always know that a person who has loyalty, appreciation and gratitude will do well in the long run.

I got one message of appreciation from Dr Benedict Tan when he smsed me from his handphone to me, after his achievement of doing 2hr 56min. For me, that message was the best message that anyone has given to me in my life and I really treasure those message sent by him to me.

Recently, Dr Ben Tan asked me a question on his potential in marathon running and I told him that he capable of doing 2hr 40min if he given the time to train and rest. I have told him that he has not reached his potential yet. the sky is the limit. This is a fact. 

Coming back to Augustine, when all teachers told me that he is not studying properly in school in the year 2009, Faculty In-charge came to see me, and told me that only if I talk to Augustine, it is then that he will pull up his socks. 

I called Augustine one side, had a heart to heart talk and told that he must study hard and I had to tell him how I had to push myself very hard and made it, making mistakes earlier on. Eventually, I met the Faculty in-charge and asked about Augustine improvement in studies, and the Faculty in-charge asked me, "Is he in my radar?." That was a good piece of news that showed progress by Augustine, eventually.


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.