Saturday, January 8, 2011

Augustine Tan Cheng Fu - Certificate of Appreciation (Part 2)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

In Next Issue: 217km Death Valley Run by Yong Yuen Cheng

Augustine Tan Cheng Fu - Taking Running As A Passion For Life

Firstly, I would like to thank this year batch of athletes, particularly the Hwa Chong Cross-Country runners, although there are three of them who are boys and girls, in each team.  I would like to thank the Singapore Management University athletes as well and other students as well that I have not mentioned here. 

There are few things I would like to say about on appreciation. I have heard during my running days on what the sages were mentioning on appreciation and I have seen this in my life as well.

When everything goes well, people have the habit of praising the person responsible. However, when things don't go well, people start to blame the same person again. Hence, as a coach, it is advisable to go beyond getting praised and getting blamed. This is wisdom.

Coming back to Augustine, I have seen that Augustine sticks to the plan that I give. During last years' national schools' track and field championships and cross-country, I have seen Augustine bold and daring to run forward if told to do so, even to the point of helping the team's top runner.

In the past, I have told runners to think about the team and not on self. Augustine has shown himself to do this and Gary Tse, the captain of Cross-country team is also one of them to do it.

Having said this, I would like Augustine to air his view.

An Interview With Augustine Tan

How did you know about this?
I got to know about this through the Hwa Chong Electronic Message Board (EMB). Dr. Hon Chiew Weng posted a message to urge students to type in words of appreciation to their teachers.

What was the reason for your writing this appreciation?
The reason why I wrote this appreciation is that I feel that Mr Ram is a very dedicated and passionate coach and teacher. Besides running, he taught us important moral values which I believe are good life lessons.

Why did you join cross-country as a CCA?
I joined cross country as a CCA because I wanted to improve my running performance.

What CCA were you in in the past or what sport were you in?

I was in Council before joining cross country and I only run and swim during my past time.

How was your timing before and after you join cross-country for 2.4km?

My 2.4 timing before I join cross was 9.15min and I improved by more than a minute after I started training under Mr Ram.

Which was the year that you took part in the cross-country?
I took part in cross-country in 2009 and 2010.

How many years have you been in cross-country?

I’ve been in Cross for around 4 years.


How was your performance of your team in cross-country in national schools' competition?
We (The Hwa Chong Cross Country Team) achieved 2nd runner up for the year 2009 and 2010.

In Singapore, in the school team competition, everything depends on exams also. If the competition is on exam day, then the school that supports the exemption, which one of my friend and 6 students had, has a very high chance of winning. This is the type of competition which is going on in Singapore. In the past, my seniors told me that cross-country championships was arranged very well.

Even though we were third, eventually, it is a moral victory because we always win our opponents after the national school race, most of the time. For example, Jeevanesh and Si Heng were the best performers of the year in 3000m and 2000m steeplechase race in the National Age Group Championships 2010. This shows that we are the best.

We as a team believe that, with the worse situation, we have attained the best results, hence this is a moral victory.  We feel that we are the champions actually. We always believe in competing with the opponents when they are at their best, not worst.

The national competition, to my opinion, does not show the true picture of competition. This is my frank opinion.

A team wins when it has competed on a fair platform and not an unequal platform.

What is your leadership role?

I was the Vice-Captain of the team.

What are your future plans and goals?

I’m planning to continue running when I enter University and I will also take up triathlon. I think all of us should take the running as long term as it keeps your mind, body and soul healthy.



Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.