Saturday, June 19, 2010

Karthik - Best Athlete (Male) Award for Triple Gold Medalist

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

A One to One Interview With Karthik Jayaraman
M. Ramachandran With His Proteges- Left Naren, M. Rama (in cap), runner Li Ting (women runner) and Karthik on the extreme right.

Who is your coach?
My coach is Malaysia's former national athlete, 4 times SEA Games double gold medalist in 5000m and 10000m. In the SEA Games, he is still the current record holder for 5000m. He is also the National record holder in 5000m and 10000m. He is none other than the great Mr.Ramachandran Murusamy.


What were the events that you took part in this Malaysian Games, Athletics?
I took part in the 5000m, 10000m and 3000m steeplechase race in this year's Malaysian Games.

Karthik - In Action Running His Favourite Event 3000m Steeplechase.

How many golds were you aiming for and how many have you achieved?
I was aiming for 3 gold medals and got all three gold medals and done with a personal best timing.

How did your parents feel about this race?
They were so happy. There were no words to explain for them. It was the happiest moments ever for them and me as well.

How did your coach feel about this race?
He was so happy and satisfied with my performance. Most importantly, he was so contented with time I ran because I bettered all his target time.

Can you describe the strategy to run the 5km?
Earlier this season, I was struggling to set a good time in 5000m. My coach told me that he was preparing me for SUKMA. Hence, I peaked during SUKMA and not for local meets. From the start, it was a fast 5000m race which I had to lead all the way. I had a challenge and tough fight coming from Negeri Sembilan's runner by name of Ahmad Luth. I gave my best shot with the remaining 500m to obtain a gold medal. .I got a personal best time of 15.18.38.

Can you describe the strategy to run the 10km?
In the 10000m race, I led all the way just the way I did for the 5000m. I had to put up a fight with Kedah's runner by name of Sivamanogaran. My strategy was to wait for the last km or 2 1/2 laps for the final kick to ensure my gold medal. I won this race with a time of 32.37.13. It was my 2nd personal best time.



What were your previous times for 5km and 10km?
My previous best time for 5000m was 15m 31.00sec. I did it in August 2009. my personal best for the 10000m was 33m 05.78sec. This was done on Feb 2010.

Who is your role model?
My role model is non-other than my precious coach 'the great long-distance king' Mr.M.Ramachandran. He is the best coach ever.



M. Ramachandran - Leading The Pack In The Past

What is your next target for the future?
This coming December, I am aiming for a very important race season.  It is the ASEAN University Games which will be held at Chiang Mai, Thailand. I'm selected to represent Malaysia's Universities for the games. After that, my next target will be 2011 SEA games. This is my long-term target.

We wish Karthik Jayaraman all the best for his endeavours.
 

Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.