Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hong Kong Marathon Interview on Ashley Liew and Lim Thow Wee

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Next Issue - Lin Run'er (center), 6th in Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2010. A passionate person who likes running.











Duo Gunning For Personal Best Time in Hong Kong Marathon 2011

Picture 1 - Lim Thow Wee (on the right) - 10th in Standard Chartered Marathon, Singapore 2010, Ashley Liew (on the left) - 2nd in Standard Chartered Marathon, Singapore 2009 and 2010


  
The two runners who will be going to the Hong Kong Marathon 2011 are Lim Thow Wee and Ashley Liew. Ashley Liew is representing Singapore as Lim Thow Wee is running by himself using his own funds. Both of them are dedicated runners, to my perception. Both of them are training well for this event, although running this marathon straightaway after the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon 2011 is not a good idea. However, the two of them will not face the same problem as how I went through because the race is on 20 Feb 2011 as opposed to the first week of February in the past.

I decided to give both of them an interview.











An Interview With Lim Thow Wee

Why did u choose this race?
I choose this race because I wanted a backup race to qualify for New York marathon 2011. I also felt that it is due time to go for a vacation with my wife, so decided to combine a holiday and race.

How did you find the route in Hong Kong?
After seeking advice from Mr Rameshon, who has done HK marathon before, I know that I will be facing a hilly course over the road tunnel and bridges. I believe it will be a tough course so will be putting in some hill workouts to allow my muscles to adapt.

How did you find the weather there?
I have some Hong Kong colleagues currently. They mentioned that I can look forward to a temperature of 20 deg Celsius. I think the cool temperature will compensate for the hills a little. Our body can adapt to cooler temperature better than to warmer climate, so a slight advantage to us.

What is your targeted time for the race?
My targeted time will be anything below 3 hours. I feel that the 3 hours mark has been a psychological barrier for me since 2009. Will be looking forward to slay my 'Goliath'!

How is your training going on?
After SSCM2010 2010, I have 11 weeks to prepare for the HK marathon. I completely didn't run for a week and run 3 times a week till the new year due to the dinners and events. Have only been doing easy and long runs since. After learning from SSCM2010, the pace is not fast for my targeted time. But need more endurance to sustain the pace throughout 42kM. So will focus more on long runs in the next few weeks.

An Interview With Ashley Liew (15 January, at 22:03)

How do you feel about going to Hong Kong Marathon 2011?
I am very happy and honoured for the opportunity to be officially representing Singapore; this is only my second time doing so, the first being at the 2010 World University Triathlon Championship in Valencia. Since I got the news in early December, I have been physically and mentally training hard for this race. It would have helped if my arrangements with SAA were confirmed slightly earlier, in order to reduce uncertainty and anxiety.

What time are you going for?
I am aiming for a 2h 45min to 2hr 48min, a conservative 4m/k average pace. This takes into consideration the hilly Hong Kong terrain. The course is not likely the place to doing a fantastic time because of this, but I definitely want a PB of sub-2h 50min. I prefer to do a negative split, running faster towards the last few stages of the marathon run as opposed to dying out towards the end of the race.

How is your father's support in this?
He is excited that I am confirmed going for this race and hopes that I do a good time.

What do you think about the terrain?
From reviews and from Coach Rameshon’s Hong Kong experience not long ago, the terrain would not be easy. I know it would be tougher than SCMS 2010, as SCMS only had one big climb at 37km. The start of Hong Kong Marathon would be flat but undulating terrain would be part and parcel of the course later. This could either be to someone’s disadvantage or advantage. However, it would help that the climate would be cool and not so humid.

What are your other plans?
Two more marathons for 2011: Gold Coast Marathon in early July, and hopefully SEA Games Marathon in November. If I don’t qualify for SEA Games this year, I want to do very well at the Singapore Marathon. I am likely to stay off track races from September onwards to prepare specifically for the year-end marathon. This will not only give me the chance of doing well and stay focused, it will also give my body more rest. The races in September and October this year, in fact, distract me a lot from the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon. I will focus instead on workout times to ensure a good time in the future.
 
The author would like to wish both runners all the best!


Note:

By Narayanan
Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.