Friday, June 11, 2010

1st Asian Marathon Championship (Biwako, Japan) - Meeting Lee Kar Lun

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Lee Kar Lun - One Great Runner from Hong Kong




Lee Kar Lun is from Hong Kong. He got married to Singapore's former National Record holder and multiple SEA Games runner by the name of Toh Soh Liang. I met him in 1988 at Biwako Marathon, Japan. While Lee Kar Lun was there, I realised that he was a person who keeps massaging his calves muscles at least 15 to 20mins by himself. That showed to me that he was a person who was very high in self-discipline. We used to talk to each other. We always laugh and joke with each other. Basically, one day he came and asked me about carbo-loading. I told him about it. From that day onwards, he keeps disturbing me in a joking manner on 'carbo-loading'.

During the race of Biwako, where I did 2hr 46min and came in 7th overall out of the 10Asian marathon runners, I saw Seko, the Japanese, former world record holder and Nakayama, one of the top marathoners at that time. Many reporters started to take pictures of Seko, the moment he stepped out to stride and jog around. It was a fantastic sight and it looked majestic. I always wanted to look at how Seko looked like. Seko (2hr 08min) used his coach as a master and used Zen meditational techniques to become the best in the world. Douglas Wakiihuri, the former world top marathoner came to study from Seko's coach on these meditational techniques and did well in the world. Wakiihuri became one of the finest runners in the world also.

During the race, Lee Kar Lun stopped and climbed onto a truck to go back to the finish point. I was wondering why he did this. I thought that it was poor sportsmanship. Later on, Lee Kar Lun told me that he wanted to do another marathon. I did not understand this. Actually, marathoners can actually run one or two marathon/s per year. He must have thought that it would be better to miss this run so that the two marathon runs per year were intact. I scolded him in a joking manner that no matter how tired he was he should have completed the race. To this, he just kept smiling. It was left to mystery.

We came back to run in the Phuket Marathon. We basically had a wonderful time in Thailand. The route was mountainous and very difficult to run. The winner's time was 2hr 34mins by an English runner by the name of Steve Brace. Steve Brace was one of the finest runners that England as ever produced. I did 2hr 56min and was in a way disappointed. Then, I told myself that since the London Marathon champion by the name of Mike Gratton (2hr 08min) was there, it would be better to ask him on how are the ways to improve in a marathon. He told me some tips and I took it religiously.

After the run, a few years later, Lee Kar Lun sent me a card to inform me that he has done 2hr 27min 03sec. It was very surprising for me and I was very happy to hear this. It gave me hope. I also told myself that now I know why he had stopped during the race and when I asked him on why he stopped, he just smiled. I knew that the stopping of the race was to concentrate on other important marathon races. I realised that I could learn something from him. He made an indelible imprint on my mind such to select races very carefully and to stop by 30km if the goal is not achieved. By running the whole marathon, I knew that it was a wrong decision as I may be wasting that marathon performance and will be left to a race to go. I usually do one or two marathons per year.

Over time, we kept seeing each other for some races and later on, we met at Sendai half-marathon 1996. It was when I already stopped training for a month. It was the time, I already gave up serious running because I needed more support and it was not there. Somehow, I did a 1hr 12min for the race. Lee Kar Lun was just in front of me.

Having spoken about Lee Kar Lun, now let us get to know more about this wise gentleman who has many achievements.


What is your age now?
I am 54 years old.

Do you like running?
I like running. Every day I run 16km in the morning.

When did you first start your intensive running?
My first intensive running was in 1982.

What is your personal best time for a marathon?
My best marathon was 2.27.03.

When and where did you attain this time?
Macau Int'l Marathon in 1990.

Have you won any races in the half- marathon or marathon?
I had won 8 times in half-marathon.

What is your personal best for 5km, 10km and 15km?
5km(15'55) 10km(31'55) half-marathon(1'10:04).

How many sub 1hr 13min half marathon have you done so far?
I have done sub 1hr 13mins 14 times.

How long have you been running?
I have been running since 1981.

How many times have you won the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon?
I had won 2 times local Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon.

Any personal best that you have done in any race?
So far, no personal best have done in recent races.

What job are you doing now?
At present, I am a full-time Coach.

How many have done personal best under you?
Some of my runners have done their personal best.

Any race that you are hoping to do well?
I hope to do well in future 5km, 10km, half-marathon, full-marathon and Cross Country.

Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).


He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.