Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sahara Desert 250km Challenge - 25th Oct 2009

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)

Sahara Desert 250km Run - The Fantastic Three



Mika Kume - In action in one of the race that she had taken part in


Mika Kume is one of those who came with me to Kenya in 2001. She went there to train swimming, cycling and running. During my stay there, I found her to be one of the fittest in the triathlon group from Singapore that joined us in Kenya. Over time, after the Kenya Trip (10 days), we were back in Singapore. After that inspirational tour, in the year 2002, I trained hard to do a 1hr 17min and came in as the champion for the Army Half Marathon (21.1km) Men Open, local section. Over time, in the year 2008, at the age of 43, I came in first for the Men Open local champion in the Standard Chartered Marathon (42.195km). As far as Mika Kume is concerned, I realised that she came in as a champion for the Desaru Long Distance Triathlon 2009, for 35 years old and above, Women Veteran category.

Recently, from my former classmate, Johnson Jacob, I realised that there were some people who were about to take part in the Sahara Desert 250km run, last year (2009). I was thinking that anyone who takes part in this race must be crazy. The reason is that these people will have to prepare their training very well and must be physically and mentally very strong to endure pain. At that time, I did not have any blog to write about this but I had all the admiration to those who want to push their limits. I also did not believe that Johnson will take part in this race as he was not that active during his teenage years. It was very surprising to find that my very own former primary school classmate now is doing Ironman race and Ultramarathon races in an active fashion.


Last week, I told myself to do an interview on the three people who went from Singapore to take part in this event, the mixed group who trained in Singapore and brought the Singapore flag to the Sahara Desert. Since two of them are available - Johnson and Mika - I decided to do an interview on them.
  
Before discussing the Sahara Challenge, Johnson has taken part in the Gobi Desert 250km. Let me ask him about this before we look at the Sahara Challenge.

An Interview with Johnson

What is your age now?
 Johnson: 45

What was the year that you took part competitively?
Johnson: The year was 2003. On the day that I started training around May for Triathlon, I also gave up smoking totally.

Which was your first competition?
Johnson: It was in July 2003, I took part in the Port Dickson triathlon event consisting of 1.5km swim 40km cycle and followed by a 10km run. Our friend, by the name of Christian, is right now is attempting his first-ever ironman in Paris. The race is coming in a week's time.

How many Ironman race have you taken part in?
Johnson: 6 times.

Can you tell me your personal best time for the Ironman?
Johnson: It was held in Langkawi 2007. I did it in a time of 13hr 34min.
I have completed 3 marathons already.


Interview to Mika and Johnson on the Sahara Desert 250km run.

When was Sahara Desert 250km race held?
Mika: 25th Oct 2009

How many athletes did the team consists of?
Mika: Three

Can you name the people who took part in this challenge?
Mika: Christian, Johnson Jacob and myself.

When did you decide to train for this type of challenge?
Mika: I cannot remember exactly when but it was around May?

Johnson: I started training for this from June 2008 with my friends Christian and Steven Lim

How was the feeling like when you know you are about to do this type of challenge?
Mika: Scared, the only fear I had was I had to carry my own baggage.

Johnson: Nervous. because one blister is enough to affect our movement. It is a matter of time when you are going to get it. The heat was blistering with 57 degrees centigrade. We also had to eat the barest minimum per day. It is like running a marathon per day.

Did you run with sufficient water?
Mika: At every 10km point, there was a water point?

Do you need a Compass? How do you find the route?
Johnson: Even in the dark, we could see. We find the route safe to travel.

Is there a chance of getting oneself lost?
Johnson: At every 50m or 100m, there is a flag planted to the floor, The possibility of getting lost is 0%, except when you focus. There are cases of people getting disoriented when dehydration and exhaustion take place. In the dark, we use a headlight.

Was the route challenging?
Mika:  The organisers set the course. We were daily going nearly 1 marathon per day for 4days. On the fifth day, we had to travel 170km. On the sixth day, we need to travel about 10km to finish the race, in front of the pyramid. The reward for us was cold beer and pizza was waiting. My achilles started to hurt. I was very hungry. During the run, I slowed down the team a lot because of the pain at the achilles. I was very hungry also.
My team-mates were very patient with me. 

How was the organisation and organisers of the event?
Mika: It was organised very well. The organisers were good. They did a fantastic job.

Johnson: The volunteers have had first-hand experience having done the race before. They voluntarily assist the raced with pure dedication. The checkpoints are there to monitor whether the competitors have reached the point safely and they are not lost. 

What position did the team get and was there any award for this race?
Mika: We were given a trophy. Overall we were second.

How much was the registration fee for this race?
Johnson: The fee was US$3200. The race registration fee fluctuates with the market conditions.

How did you feel when you have finished the race?
Mika: A sense of achievement.

Johnson: The memorable day was the 2nd last day. We felt that the race was already over. For the last day, we just had to do a last 10km run.

How was the facilities during the race?
Mika: There were no luxuries to enjoy.

Johnson: We did not have a shower for the 6 days. We had to go to the hotel. There were no facilities. There was no water to brush our teeth. I was not able to shave and I was growing a beard.

What is/are your future goal/s?
Mika: In future, I would like to go for the Nepal 250km Challenge

Johnson: After the Sahara, I have done the Standard Chartered Marathon in Singapore in 2009. I am now preparing for the Antarctica race in November 2010. However, I would like to take part in the 100km Northface Run and the Safra Army Half-Marathon before the Antarctica race.

We wish Christian, Mika and Johnson all the best for their future challenges.
 

Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.