Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mika Kume - Sundown Marathon 2010 (2nd Overall Veteran)

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)
Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)



Mike Kume - 48 Years Old and Still Going Strong




On last Sunday 30/05/2010, Mike Kuma came in as second veteran overall in the women veteran section of the Sundown Marathon 2010. The champion was an overseas runner, not holding any PR. As such, Mika is considered as the first Singaporean Resident and a local best.

Mika Kume is a small framed Japanese (veteran) woman living in Singapore, since 2001. Nearly, a decade before, she lived in Tokyo while her parents were staying in Japan in Yokohama. Her mother's name is Atsuko Kume and her father's name is Yoshiki Kume.

Mika has been seen doing running training, at times, at CCAB with her running mates, including my former primary school, De La Salle School classmate by the name of Johnson Jacob. During primary school and secondary Johnson Jacob was not interested in running, as I know him. Recently, a few years back, Johnson has picked up this sport of ultramarathon and marathon. He even tried to encourage my younger brother, Sivanesan, to take up running. Anyway, recently, in Sahara Desert 200km run, alongside Johnson as team runner, Mika's team came in second overall. Only from her yesterday's interview, I find out this. I felt that this was great news to share with fellow Singaporeans.


Recently, she had decided to run in her second Sundown Marathon 2010 after losing her way in the last year's Sundown marathon 2009, which was her first ever run for her. However, in this year's marathon, unfortunately, Mika got her calf muscles torn around 14th March, this year. She was told by the doctor to take about 6 weeks to rest. Getting depressed by the idea of no more of impact running, Mika sought out alternative ways to finally run the Sundown, if she could not take part in the London Marathon.

In actual fact, Mika wanted to run in the London Marathon 2010 around March. Following the doctor's advice, Mika decided not to run the London Marathon but decided to run in the Sundown Marathon 2010 by doing non-impact cardio training, which included swimming and cycling. With immense willpower that she harnessed, she gave it a go to train doing the alternative methods to do well. In order to do some form of technique that involves running, she did pool running for 6 weeks. Eventually, she only ran one 32km training run as the first and last run one week before the Sundown Marathon (84). A week back, while in Malaysia, unfortunately, she was bitten by a big scolopendra gigantic centipede which gave a sting, which made her go through very painful sensation. She had to endure that for a few days before the Sundown ultramarathon.

When I asked Mika on her final decision what made her to finally decide to run the Sundown ultramarathon, she told me, "The interview that you were about to give me spurred and motivated me to finally decide to run the marathon itself". These words of hers, yesterday, made me surprised, elated and feel honoured. She also decided not to put too much effort and pull out. She just wanted to finish the race, that's all.

As such, I am writing a write up on Mika. Part 1 will be on the Sundown Marathon 2010 itself and on how she endured and completed running the 84km. Part 2 will be on the several feats and achievements that she had achieved which has gone unknown to many fellow Singaporeans. My duty is to make Singaporeans to know about this small wonder with a lot of energy to run, run and run.

Sundown Marathon Race (84km)
Mika started the race with ease at first. She was waiting for the first bit of the 21km split to be over. Once done, she was focusing on the next 21km split. Mike was suddenly finding that the next 21km split was tough and she did not know whether she will finish or not. At any point, she was willing to pull out. She, hence, ran a very conservative race. Things changed suddenly for the better at the 42km mark, she felt at ease and realised that she was strong to finish the race. As soon as she was coming towards the last 3 km, she overtook the 3rd Veteran woman runner.

Having overtaken the third runner, Mika was trying to open up the gap. She found that the gap was very close and the competitor behind was doing her utmost best to beat her back for the early part of the last 3km bit. There were footsteps from behind and it was like a hunter being hunted. She had the fear that she would lose to the person behind. This troubled throughout the run. It was fear, fear and more fear. The only way to remain second, she thought, was to remain intact in the competition and do not succumb to giving in. Over time, somebody from behind was announcing that the third veteran woman was about 100m away. It was after hearing this that she felt at ease and finally finished the race.

After finishing the race, she felt elated but told within herself that she is not going to run the Sundown Marathon (84km) run. When I asked her about the same feeling after the 2009's Sundown Marathon, she told me that it was the same. Moreover, she chuckled that, over time, it is natural that to take up the challenge in the Sundown Marathon usually comes back to her.


I asked her a few questions which I think will be a good idea to share with people.


Interview Questions

How did you do the pool running while doing cycling and biking?
For 3 days I biked and the next 3 days I swam. I included another 3 sessions in the pool and do 45 mins training. I did something like 1 min run hard and two minutes rest for ten repetitions. I had to keep my posture upright and this actually helped me in running. It will be good for people not to lose hope if they are injured and go for these alternative methods of running. Of course, she got the second opinion from Dr Benedict Tan on her injury. She also asked the doctors on how to train. She feels that if there is a will, there is a way.

How supportive are your parents to running and triathlon?
They are very supportive towards my passion. In one of the recent race, my mother did come all the way from Japan to support me in my chosen sport.

Why did you take up triathlon?
I had problems when I did a lot of running, usually, the lower back region of my body gets affected and I am easily injured. My first love is running. Having not able to run properly, I decided to run less and do more swim and bike. Eventually, I took up triathlon.

What is your advice to fellow runners or triathletes who are above 40?
I feel that at the age of 48, I can do it. People should not put limits on their mind and stop sports. Overall for Women Open in the Sundown Marathon, I came in 4th. On top of that, I am 48 years old.

What is your advice parents who contemplate whether their child should run or not?
People must believe in themselves and carry on with sports. We enrich our lives through sports. I find I have greater focus, determination, perseverance and discipline. I strongly believe that through my experience that sports develop good values of hard work, resilience, patience, etc. Parents should strongly encourage their children to be very active in sports, not just being good in academic performance alone.

When did you take up sports?
At 36, I took up running. After 38/39 years old, I decided to move on to triathlon.

(Part 2, coming up on Mika's great achievements and feats in the past)

 
Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes to do marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners to do sub-4 hours for marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.